I am being "ridiculous" says ebay seller!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jul 28, 2013.

1. I find it amusing how quick some of these sellers are willing to take your cash(I always pay right after I win the auction) but then act like they are doing you a huge favor by shipping the item, responding to correspondence, etc..there should be a mutual respect there. You fork over your hard earned cash that they stuff in their wallet within a day for the return 'promise' of prompt service...this guy sounds like a real sack of sh*t.

I get antsy when I get no tracking number within the first day or two..2 weeks is unacceptable

2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE!

Mar 31, 2010
    I buy and sell on eBay. A seller has NO right to sit on your money. If you can't ship within 2 business days, and provide a tracking number and good communication, you shouldn't be selling.

3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I think the longest delay I ever had on an Ebay purchase was maybe 5 or 6 weeks after the sale. It was a small and inexpensive item and I was in no hurry for it so it wasn't a great concern but the sellers communication regarding the item was excellent and that made all the difference. Regardless of what was going on at his end I never had the feeling I was getting stiffed, which after 8 days without communication, I would have. Sounds to me like you did the right thing.

If that seller really thinks you're being ridiculous, he may gain some perspective from reading this thread.

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Barring a legitimately unforeseen eventuality, there should never be a two-week delay in shipping and certainly not without plenty of communication.

5. The lack of communication was bad, but once it leaves the seller, they have no control over how long it takes the shipper to move it.

You can pay the shipping company for overnight, but if the shipping company doesn't do it, the sender really has nothing they can do about getting it there quickly - they paid to have it shipped it overnight! If your seller had shipped, but not communicated I could see the sellers point, but I think you did do the right thing in opening a case.

6. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Longest I ever took to ship something was 2 weeks, but it was a part that installed on my car that I had to pull, told the buyer it was going to take me some time to do it, but he didn't need it right away.

7. Illini10

Illini10

May 15, 2012
    Elmwood, IL
    I bought a book on e-bay years back. I paid immediately after the auction closed and the seller shipped within a day or so. The book arrived and it was not the correct book. I sent the seller a message and he replied "I don't think that book is published yet." I was a bit confused because it had been published for over a year and the item description and picture on his auction was of the book in question. He told me to return ship and he would give me a refund upon receipt. I sent the item back that day to the return address on the original package and included tracking info.

A week after the package was delivered I still had no refund. I contacted the seller and received no reply. I sent another message and he said he never got the package. At that point I contacted paypal, got my money back and gave him negative feedback. I did everything on my end to get the wrong merch back to him, paid for shipping (both ways), provided a tracking number and put up with his lack of communication.

The book wasn't even that great.

8. A "huge inconvenience" that would be non-existent had he shipped it promptly. The only ridiculous thing is the delay in shipping with no explanation.

9. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NC
    Some ebay sellers have absolutely no shame. This is why the site's rules are tilted against sellers in general now, the jerks ruined it for everyone else.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Wow. I know that Ebay/Paypal has always been slanted towards buyers, but that's just taking it to a ridiculous level. Sometimes buyers suck and their suckiness needs to be made public. I haven't dealt with Ebay in years - its just too much of a PITA, especially with other options like Amazon out there.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That reminds me of an experience I had with Lava Cables before. Long story short, I had to buy two no-solder ends from Lava for a pedal board I have with hardwired inputs and outputs. Instead of the two ends, I received an actual full-blown wiring kit that would have been enough to make something like 12 patch cables. I know how much those sell for and didn't think it ethical to keep the kit, so I contacted the owner and told him that I think there was a mistake. There was no, "Sorry for the mistake," or "Thanks for being moral and not keeping a wiring kit that costs over a hundred bucks when you just ordered two cable ends." It was just, "Yes, send the package back to Address XXXXX." So I shipped the kit back. I never did receive my two ends and Lava never offered to refund me for shipping, even though I was correcting their mistake. It wouldn't have been hard to credit me since I originally paid with Paypal.

So I'll always go George L before I ever buy any cabling from Lava.

12. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    It's a constant source of amazement to me how some individuals who can't find their butt with both hands are are savant in the area of blaming others for their shortcomings

13. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    Two weeks with no tracking number. The second I get a tracking number in my hands I post it on eBay so the buyer sees it's shipped. Very irresponsible for that seller to do no tracking number; you could lie and say you never got it.

14. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    I used to buy and sell on Ebay a good bit. Here's how I would explain the situation to deadbeat sellers:

"You may not think you are in business, but you are. When you took my money for this item, you conducted a business transaction whether you wanted to or not. Business transactions are covered by certain rules and laws. There are certain legal ramifications that come along with that business transaction especially if you fail to perform your end of it. If you don't immediately make it a priority in your life to carefully pack and ship the item that I've already paid you for, you're going to get an education in ramifications."

When Ebay started to allow buyers to hide their (I'm assuming bad) feedback by paying Ebay a bribe (fee), I lost interest in it pretty quickly. My last Ebay transaction was a FAIL. The buyer who won the auction was hiding his feedback. He refused to abide by the payment terms in the auction. I notified Ebay and refused to send the item. That was years ago.

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    There were times when I as a seller was behind with stuff, maybe it took 2-3 days to get to the PO but two weeks is ridiculous.

16. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    I've been a heavy eBayer since 1999, but only in the last few years have I found there to be a sudden wave of buyers/sellers with obnoxious attitudes. My feedback has always been solid and I have gone the extra mile on communications, packaging, turnaround times, etc. I figure the increase of whining and poor etiquette has something to do with the wave of Millennials punishing others for their xBox being on the blink and the pizza delivery guy running late. In all fairness, it must be wearisome scouring Facebook and Twitter for intelligent life all day from their mother’s basement surrounded with littered walls of faded “Forward” posters.

17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    He never sent it, ebay finally gave me my money back. I'm about to frag him with negative feedback.

18. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    guess he had it coming

19. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Hm. Accepts money, no item and no communication in two weeks? His problem, not yours. Whether or not you want to ding him with negative feedback is obviously your call, but I wouldn't say you were unwarranted if you did. Might help other people avoid from being flaked on.

20. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The "extreme emotional response" is just a bargaining tactic. Your turn. Respond calmly and politely, describing your terms, such as a hard deadline.