Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am buying a moisture meter and need advice

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jun 6, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Help! I am getting sick of not knowing how dry the wood is I am using and finding out too late that it wasn't dry enough. I do a lot of laminating necks and have run into problems. What about the WAGNER L609? Thanks for any advice.......Tom

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    For Necks you should buy kiln dried woods. Then you cut them to the length you will use for lams and let them sit for a year per inch if you can. That will help stabilize the strips. Then you make up your billet and dress it to 1/4" or so over the finished thickness and let it age for awhile if you can.

When buying wet wood you have to dry it indoors for 1-year per inch before starting the process above. Make sure you wax the ends within 2 hours of cutting the lengths or they may end check.

To test the moisture I use the 'Mini Ligno' meter. It only tells you the moisture of where you stick the pins. If you dry long lumber and then after drying you cut you lengths, you can then test the 'new' ends which were in the center before to get a proper reading.

Good luck......... OR......... You could buy from us, already dried neck material which we sell on a regular basis to instrument builders and furniture makers.... This is not an Ad, just a suggestion.....

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    tjclem???? Hey, didn't you just win a few auctions of our wood on Ebay? I just realized that after posting when I read your name. It's early here and the 'cob webs' are still clearing........

Anyway, you have my # if you need to reach me.

Good luck....

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks Ken. Check your mail.....t

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Even wood I bought dry 2 years ago and Kept in our air conditioned house are above 10% moisture.

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    That would be because of rather high ambient moisture, i.e. not very dry air.
    OTOH, after a couple of years, wood is in balance with the evironment, so it's OK to use it.

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I have been taking some test wood into work and leaving it in my car in semi shade during the day and I have noticed a 1 or 2 % drop in moisture content afterwords. Interesting......t