Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am confus-ed!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by HWK2, Sep 18, 2000.

1. I actually have managed to learn the bass solo from "You can Call me Al" and I've only been playing for 6 months (no instruction YET) so I am quite impressed with myself. My question is. According to the tab that I got it from it is a "slap" solo. Well, this is great. I've got a book that tries to explain how to slap. Bass-icly it tells me to SLAP (imagine that) the string with my thumb. Ok, this is wonderfull, but it still sounds nothing like the solo. The notes are right, I can tell that, but they are WAY higher the way i play them.. the tab I have shows (I hope this can be done, posting a tab I mean.. if not, the moderator should plz let me know)

G----|--15--17----------------------------------------------------|
    D----|--------------15--17----------------------------------------|
    A----|----------17----------13--15--17--13--------------------|
    E----|--------------------------------------15--15--17--15-----|

Maybe I am really confused, but that sounds ALOT higher than what it sounds like on the recording. Am I just slapping wrong (I guess I just hit my thumb on the string) or is this just a really messed up tab??

Thanks

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    In a Bakhiti Kumalo interview(he's the guy who played on "Al")from BASS PLAYER(about 2-3 years ago)-
    He stated that the solo was a 2-bar phrase HE played + a mirror image of the 2-bar phrase(played in REVERSE)thanks to some engineer/studio mumbo-jumbo.
    I can look when I get home...to me, the point of a "solo"(even one like this in a Pop environment), is to go for it, live the moment. I doubt Kumalo would play it the same way today...same vibe, yeah; same notes/phrase, probably not.
    Too, I hear that solo somewhere around the 3-5 frets...I have never tried to play it verbatim.

3. Well, it does sound more like it in the lower octave, (3-5 fret area) and even if I play it slow, I can make some cool stuff happen with it =) This is a bass line that I like to mess with :D Anyway, thanks for the info.

4. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    The tab looks like it is an octave too high as it sounds like he utilizes open strings on the recording. In an interview with Paul Simon he said (as JimK said) the solo is a 2 bar phrase repeated backward via a recording technique. Which explains why the first half is fairly easy to play and the second half very difficult (or at least more so than the first).