1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am crawling the walls for info on the release of Meshuggah's next album !

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, not really. It's coming out in the states on March 11th - I can't wait!

Some of the new material is starting to make it's way onto Youtube (EDIT: Rats! Most of the songs have been taken down.) I've only heard three songs, but methinks that this could be a breakthrough album for these Swedes. It seems that they have figured out how to mix their recent slower odd-time grooves with their faster odd-time thrash stuff they started with. It kicks unholy ass. Witness:

http://www.myspace.com/meshuggah

If anybody here doesn't agree that Meshuggah is the best metal band on the planet, well... he'd better have a knife, that's all I've got to say.

2. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    OK, found some:

By the way, Thomas Haake has put away the mouse and actually played the drums on this album. The dude is sick.

3. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    The CD is really awesome. I've been listening it to a few weeks now. I think it's easier to listen to than their last CD (which I really wasn't a fan of). I don't mean it's "easy listening," I just mean the songs flow much better. If you liked Chaosphere and Nothing, you'll love this one.

The name of the CD is Obzen.

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I didn't think Catch 33 was very good - I think they were still trying to figure out what they were doing with their 8 strings. Nothing (the re-recorded version) is one of my favorite metal records of all time. ObZen looks like it may be even better.

5. judgex

judgex

Feb 25, 2008
    I plunge into a well of lies a cold
    Perennial flow the vortex of my soul

6. I'm anxiously awaiting this one, myself. Got this and Woot's new record on reserve at the same store... ;)

7. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    That's funny, I actually meant None, not Nothing. But yeah, Nothing was awesome, too. I still haven't listened to the remastered version, but I'm sure it just made a badass CD even better.

But yeah, I listened to Catch 33 once, and didn't really like it at all. This CD however...I'm really diggin it.

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The re-recorded version of Nothing is far superior to the original. Some songs were extended, some were slowed down even more, some guitar solos were redone, and the whole things sounds 10x better. I highly recommend it.

None is good too.

9. funkymonk77

funkymonk77

Jan 21, 2008
    you cant deny in death is life/death, and the 3 tracks leading up to it...and the outro sum is a perfect way to end it all...i actually liked catch 33, though nothing does have alot more memorable grooves in it

10. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    I don't like to use the word "masterpiece" very often, because it's just too powerful of a word. However, I would throw "Catch 33" in the hat as a masterpiece. That recording to me is beyond what aggressive metal can do--or rather what it has done up until now. I still listen to it regularly and have not grown tired of it. "Obzen"...not so much. I'm giving it time, though.

11. It's kinda of amazing to me, I was listening to them on the way to watch (where I am now) and realized that Destroy, Erase, Improve came out 13 years ago. A friend of mine turned me on to them back in 96, and it was the heaviest thing I'd ever heard... Listening to it now, it's kind of amazing how ahead of their time they've been.

FWIW, I think "Nothing" is the best album they've put out... so far.

12. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I can't wait to see them on tour with Ministry in a couple months.

13. Yo B Strange! I'm checking out the band AFTER I tell ya that I was called that moniker many a time as a mischevious and wildass child....

lets see if they're as high speed as I was....

Hahahaha... yeah man... Future Breed Machine will do IT!

Cool stuff,thnx.

Peace.Out.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Excellent. I actually like Catch33, not as much as Nothing though.

15. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I'm actually fairly partial to I. But Catch-33 and Nothing(re-release) are two of my favorite records.

16. I'm just listening to the new one streaming on myspace. The first 2 songs are pretty good, but that's as far as I got so far. It's not knocking me off my chair, but sounds like a worthwhile pickup.

Can't say that I like the album cover though.