1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I am done with my Stewart World 1.2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 8mmOD, May 13, 2006.

1. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Mind you I live in the tropics & its probably hotter than most places, but my Stewart World 1.2 shut down again on me tonight towards the end of a very short set. It had shut down on me twice before due to heat & after the second time I added a clip on fan & I haven't had any problems since... until tonight. It was real hot on stage & I was running it at 4 ohms, but it was just one notch over 1/2 way up, so I wasn't even really pushing it. The sound from my cabs ceased, I turned around & saw the lights on the 1.2 were off. :eyebrow: Too bad, its a great concept & actually sounds really good. But the third time shutdown was not a charm so I am done with this amp. :mad: If you live or tour in in a hot climate, I suggest you stay away from this amp.

2. I've seen this comment more than once with this model.

Perhaps research is indicated. I have a glimmer of memory about this model having design issues, and the hardware levels being upgraded. Perhaps I'm confusing this with Windows... < grin >.

No matter, as Strike Three and You're Out really sucks at a gig. Even though they weigh more, I use PLX amps because this doesn't happen.

3. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    i've never had mine shut down, but it seems very sensitive to the temp of the room. when it's in the high 90s (in my un-airconditioned loft) it gets up to bacon frying temperatures just from practicing at moderate volumes).

on the other hand, running it in reasonably cool rooms, it's never gotten uncomfortably warm even after a long loud set.

probably not the best for tropical gigging!

4. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I run an Alembic F2B into a Carvin DCM1500 into Two 4 ohm loads.. Did a series of outdoor shows in Texas last summer. The stage temp was 104 degrees in the shade..
    That Carvin amp kept going. .no problems at all... i on the other hand almost keeled over...

5. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse &amp; use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks &amp; Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Well much like everything else, its likely a combination of things that lead to the shut down. The amp is convection cooled (for you non-techies, that means it has no fan). I thought that adding the clip on fan solved the heat issue, and it actually did for quite awhile. But a) it was really hot last night, b) the rig was stuck in a corner with little airlow, c) I guarantee is was well over 90 degrees surrounding the amp. d) It was probably positioned in a way that the fan was just recirculating the hot air.

But OTOH, my little 300 watt Ampeg backup head was getting pushed to its absolute limit for about 5 bands before I played, through my last song and for the band after me. It also is convection cooled, I did not have a fan blowing on the 150H and it didnt shut down. So there may be a design issue involved as well with the Stewie.

I am getting an Ampeg 8 Pro as soon as the hit the market. Time to send Stewie to ebay I think. Great, now I have to lie about what an awesome amp it is... Well truthfully, it is a really good "sounding" amp. I have read where some guys think the switch mode p/s contributes to a lack of depth on the 1.2. I didnt find that at all. It has serious balls, when it is on...

6. That really sucks, seemed like you had a good thing going with that amp and your 1x15 + 1x12 :(

7. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    What about the next step up, the World 1.6? We had an outdoor gig today at the local Harley shop, and they had us set up on their uncovered parking lot, on a clear sunny day with a mid-gig temp of 102!!! There was a slight breeze, so that might've helped, but not by much. Any exposed metal surfaces were hot enough to make us yelp on contact. It must be the fan cooling, but I haven't any reason to complain (knock on wood...) about my Stewart and I'm going on two years of constant gigging with it (2-3 x per week).

I, on the other hand (after 3 hours in the midday sun), now look like Dr. Zoidberg from Futurama.

8. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    yeah, good point. if you like the stewart's sound, it might be worthwhile to step up to on of the 2 rack, fan-cooled models. i've never heard about thermal issues with those. even more power, and still light compared with anything else (besides the one you're throwing out).