Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am getting sick of pedals... Is that wrong?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Lately I've been getting frustrated with my pedals. Impedence issues, stray noises, cabling mess, & overall inconvenience is starting to wear on me. I've even considered selling a few (but not too hard, so don't get any ideas :D ).

I've been thinking about moving to more of a rack FX setup, like a TC G-Force or something. Is there something wrong with me, or am I just going through a phase?

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    So that's why you added the list to your signature...preparation for your liquidation, huh?
    Lo-Fi, Ooh-Wah, and V-Twin for me.

3. i can relate.
    i used to be a real effects junky but as of late i have been trying to cut down on the pedals in the setup. At home, or when just screwing around, i still like to plug everything in and go nuts but I have been trying to cut back the gigging board to a minimum (which is still about 8 or so pedals :rolleyes:)

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Nah, that was just for bragging rights. :D

I don't think I am going to sell any, but I feel I need to vent. Perhaps an FX alternative would be good for me for a while.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Personally, I can't get sick of effects, there's still sooo much out there, but I too keep my pedalboard to a minimum: Big Muff, Wah, Volume. I keep other pedals around to add to my board but these are the three that actually see the road. Otherwise, it's buying, tweaking, selling for me.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    No, I don't think any alternative to effects would work for you...what about your upcoming gig? :D

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    It a phase... but you don't get over these things, they just morph into new directions as you go. :)

My experience (several loops through this process/phase) - If you like the sounds you're getting from your current set of pedals, I don't think you'll be happy with something like a G-Force. It won't sound the same. On the other hand it can be fun to try something else, just to verify that what you already have is good. These experiments cost though...

8. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I used to get sick of my pedals to, and had evil
    thoughts of selling them all to some guy with
    one eyebrow who would put them in a glass case
    in his sirly pawn shop, where they would sit
    forever with some higher that retail price tags
    on them. Then I would start to feel guilty.
    So I would just plug right into the amp, and play
    with no pedals for a while, then when I started
    missing them I would hook em back up.:ninja:

9. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    put all of your pedals in a box and send them to me......seriously, just put them away for a while. Don't sell them. Trust me on that. You will thank me in a year or two when you get the hankering to use them again.

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I never get sick of 'em, but I do get sick of schlepping my pedalboard to/from rehearsals.

So I'm always looking for a better pedalboard. I've thought of trying out a bass pod for rehearsal use, with the little four channel switch and expression pedal it might work out.

But then I feel you should really rehearse with what you'll be using live, and I love my individual pedals and can't imagine that the pod would give me as good a sound.

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i call dibs on the meatball

12. You just haven't found the right one yet...buy more.
    :D

13. i'm constantly getting angry with my pedals... screaming at them, pulling various things out of the chain, selling them, buying new ones... it's a cycle... it's an addiction....

actually, i consider it a hobby.
    the fun is in the challenge.

in other words, just send me all your pedals, and you can have them all back in a few months when i'm sick of them. deal?

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You may be on to something there...

15. I see this as yet one more example extorting the multitude of benefits and value of G.A.S. This fellah needed a focus and has utilized his boxes in a very constructive manner. I mean, w/o this focus, he could be out busdtin' heads , kicking dogs or something. Bravo!

16. Over the years I've gone back and forth from extremes like no efx to stringing up so much stuff it was like a christmas tree. My only regrets are some of the stuff that I sold off for much less than I should have and now I cannot find or afford them due to wanting them again. I am currently gearing up to use more pedals again after using multiefx units for a couple of years.