1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am going to buy an SX.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassic_element, Jun 18, 2007.

1. bassic_element

bassic_element

Sep 20, 2006
  2. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    I wouldn't. I checked one out recently and sold it quick. It sounded alright but the neck had alot of the problems. Really poor fretwork. Not a thing you want to deal with if you are looking for an out of the box,playable bass. The neck is not the most comfortable either. Too flat in a not so good way. The bridge and tuners are pretty junky too. IMO I would put aside the money that you are willing to spend on it and double it. Find a MIM Fender used and that you can play first hand. Odds are you are going to be far more satisfied. Maybe even an old MIJ Ibanez or Aria. This is not meant to ruffle the feathers of the huge amount of SX lovers because there are alot of people on TB getting a great deal of joy from theirs,but in IMO the SX stuff does not live up to the hype at all. Not even a good platform to upgrade but YMMV. Save your cash and wait!!!!

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Your profile says you have a Fender MIA Jazz. I wouldn't get the SX if you have that. You won't be too happy. At least go for a P-bass if you still want an SX.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I've tried several SX basses and all of them have been a big disappointment for me. My first choice for a brand new cheap bass is definitely a Yamaha.

5. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    +1. Yamaha or Squier Vintage Modified. I have never tried an SX, but somehow I always thought they were over-hyped. You guys are just confirming this.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My SX is OK but it'll never be a substitute for a real Precision. It's merely something to fly as baggage that I'm not worried about getting smashed. However, it's even getting to the point where I don't want to fly it anymore. The poor fretwork is annoying and the bass itself feels too blocky to me. I won't be getting another one.

7. These are actually some of the first negative comments towards these basses I have seen at all on these forums. It seems hard to find people who aren't fans of SX basses. I am getting one as well, in fact I am getting that exact model (but in 3 tone burst). I really don't want to spend any more money on a bass YET. I have no need. I really don't think you can beat an SX bass for the price. Of course Fenders will outplay it, when you are paying nearly 3 times the cost.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Whoa whoa, my comment wasn't negative. I'm just saying that you'll be dissapointed if you A/B it with an MIA Fender.

I bought my SX Jazz (same model, but black pick guard and cheaper bridge apparently...) and like it. But like others have said, there are fret issues and the parts aren't exactly top of the line.

If it's your first bass or, like me, you just want something with frets because you only have a fretless, then by all means get an SX.

Just don't get one thinking it will sound or feel like a $1000 bass. It's not advertised as such.

9. I didn't really mean to direct that towards you, Poop, sorry if it came off that way. But I agree with you completely! I am actually getting the SX because the only bass I have now is a no-name, 30+ year old, beat up bass. The electronics cut out constantly if I lean the wrong way, and the action is HUGE. I have only been playing for about 8 months now as well.

The SX is going to be a godsend.

10. I'd always stayed away from SX...

1...in Australia, they're no bargain

2...first thing everyone wants to do when they get them is "mod" them..."my new SX is so cool...I can't wait to change it...:hyper:" :eyebrow:

3...Unlike SX, I've actually played some new Squiers and am impressed...

so for the price...for me...I'd go Squier...

as far as the fretwork...I'm now confident, that I can correct most minor fretwork issues myself...which is a huge benefit for me....

11. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    SXs are alright, however I've gotta say that I would prefer a Squier Vintage Modified Series and Yamahas over an SX usually. The Squier VMS is actually a very good bargain and great for the money.

12. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I have an SX that looks like that one, though the one you are looking at has the upgrades. (pickups, tuners high mass bridge)

First off, disregard any comments about an SX from someone who has never touched one.

Second, do not compare SX to mid level or higher basses.

Third, they are on par with or better than most squiers and those of their ilk.

The one I have is as good or better than any MIM I have ever handled.

SX are the same level bass as many other brands that people toss around on this site. SX is made by Team International in China. Team international makes guitars and basses for dozens of brands. If it says made in china on it, guess what....

Many of the entry level basses from many name brands are also made in china or places overseas like Taiwan etc..

Don't buy an SX expecting it to be a Sadowski etc.....it is not.

But for about 170 bucks, expect a fine, playable bass that sounds good. In short this is an entry level bass, but a very good one.

I bought my first with the intent of pretty much leaving it stock, till I was done modding my second one that is on it's way as we speak. I have written about my SX elsewhere here, but in short, for what I paid it is an awesome bass! Minor setup was all that was "needed"....

As to people buying themand moding them, so what? They are good basses to be sure, but the way I loook at it is this - I started with a 120 dollar bass(the one thats on it's way) by the time I am done swapping out parts and such I should endup with a bass that is as good as any, comperable to the CIJ Fenders, some have said comperable to a MIA Fender, for the price of a MIM....

Besides, some of us just like to tinker about withthings and a 120 dollar bass is a good place to strart experimenting. And if something goes horribly wrong, we haven't destroyed a vintage or high end bass....

So where's the harm in that?

The bottom line? You decide, you order, you get. If you like the bass, bueno! If you don't, sell it for a little less than you paid and try something else. You are experimenting with a 160 dollar bass, not a 1,200 dollar bass.

Can you lose?

13. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I actually got my hands on one here in Brissie the other day - and for $300, I wouldn't complain. Fretwork was excellent, bridge was more solid than my MIM J-bass & the only flaw I could find was a little bit of filler on a ding in the neck. I haven't seen anything else at that price bracket that I'd touch - but if you have, by all means let us know! :)

14. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    The SX basses aren't a bad deal for the money. +1 for what ProfGumby has stated. I bought an SX Jazz 5 fretless. First thing I thought I would do would be to replace the pickups. However, as I have played it out more I have come to feel the pickups are quite acceptable as is the rest of the bass. It was just an adjustment for me having played dual coils in the past, so they weren't quite what I was familiar with. The SX basses seem to be a very nice find for a perfectly usable, low-priced instrument and, as has been stated, consider that you can upgrade them with the components YOU want and you may still end up spending less and coming away with more than you would to get a stock Fender.

15. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    SX don't come anywhere close to the quality of a stock MIM Fender. The more recent MIM stuff is very good and available in most chain style music stores that you can try out several to find a winner. With a new SX you are stuck with what they send you unless you like playing the shipping/return game. You can spend $130-$150'ish on an SX and then spend another $150-$250 to replace the bridge,tuners and pick ups. All that equals no real bargain. You can't polish a t@%#.

16. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Go for it, SX basses are great, and dont listen to the negative comments. However, buy it in store, and try it first, as there are some which really suck.

17. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    ProfGumby nails it.

My SX P is great. Frets are level and the action is good. All I did to set it up was change the strings and adjust the truss rod. I've played a couple nice MIM's lately but for me, right now, I'm happy with my SX and I'd rather save the extra couple hundred $$ that the MIM would cost.

I think the new J LTD that you're looking at looks hot. That'd be a top contender if I were in the market for a new J.

18. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    SXs are a 10 outta 10, especially for the money. SX basses have been covered to death on here...just do a search (Essex). I did, and now I own one and am ordering another.

19. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    So, are you speaking from experience with SX? I played a Fender fretless at, of all places, a boutique bass shop a few weeks ago. Not sure why it was there - it appeared to be brand new, but there it was amidst the Elricks, Modulus, Benavente, etc. I found it to be no better of a performer than my SX fretless 5. I was honestly shocked because I expected something noticeably better than my SX. The experience gave me a newfound appreciation for my $170 stock SX. True story.

Now, I will say there is great benefit in trying an SX before buying if you have that opportunity. However, I have read that Kurt at Rondo is typically very fair to deal with. But to make a generalized statement saying SX's are all T$#&s and that they don't come close to Fender MIM's shows a bit of ignorance. There are going to be inconsistencies in QC with practically any low to mid priced instrument - regardless of where they're made.

Craig

20. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I certainly wouldn't give up a MIA Jazz for the SX. But the SX is a decent bass for fooling around with. The fret edges can sometimes be sharp (this is hit or miss with SX). But generally they are pretty good right out of the box. Depending on your needs, you can get away with playing it without modding it. Though changing the pups and the bridge is a popular mod that makes a world of difference.

BTW, Rondo now sells an SJB-75 LTD with an upgraded bridge, better fret dressing and chrome hardware, better tuners. Apparently they heard all the complaints from those people modding their basses and wanted to get in on the action. You should check it out:

SX SJB-75 LTD 3TS

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021