Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am going to Cali~

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by masterFunk, Jun 20, 2001.

1. And I wanna take my bass with me.
    Has anyone tried taking it on the plane with them?? Becuase I don't want to let those mean, baggage throwing people to touch my bass.... and throw it like a sac of potato or something

2. Some advice. If you take it on the plane, Get a decent strap to wrap around the case (if it is a hard case). Even if you have good locks, they can still be popped. Also, totally detune the strings until they have no tune and are absolutely floppy. Otherwise a disaster could happen and the pressure can snap your headstock off. This happened to my brother on his PRS Custom Guitar!

3. About those mean, baggage throwing people, if you have it in a hardshell case and have some Fragile stickers slapped onto it, then it's the airline's fault if it gets busted, and they gotta compensate you.
    Right?

I'm not entirely sure about this, but it's what I keep in mind when I bring my bass with me to the US. :D

4. I put mine in a big cardboard box, that way all the damage went to the box and not my case. When the box was tore up we decided to put it in without the box and I got a huge dent in my case. Luckily, it still works and there was no damage to my bass.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hm, here's an idea for a new product:

A hadshell case for a hardshell case! :D

6. I flew to Boston last winter and I took my bass with me. I just brought it in my gig bag. The airport was crowded (LA) and the people working there were amongst some of the biggest A-holes I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Anyway, I just made sure the person sitting behind the counter didn't see my bass. I just hustled right up, loaded my suitcase. I had a backpack that I carried and I was also carrying a jacket in my arm. The guy didn't see the bass, and I didn't let him see it and I acted like I was really sure of myself. When I got on the plane, there was no room in the overhead compartment, so the stewardess placed it in the suit closet.

Airplanes have storage space for suits since there are a lot of suit wearing business people flying. They can always make some kind of accomodation. They'll just tell you they can't, but there's always a way, believe me. Many of those people are on power trips though, and some view it as if it their job is a battle of will power or as it it's the negotiation of their life. Just be firm, tell them you've already had your bass broken before and you'lre not willing to entrust your instrument with anyone. Tell them that you will put your bass in the suit closet and that you'd done this many times before. If this guy is still being an inflexible d***head, go to someone else, and try not to let them see your bass. If they don't see it, you're in!

As you can probably tell, I've been through this before.;) Good luck!

7. When I fly with my bass I put it in it's gig bag and then into an ATA style flight case. I used to do as Alexsandro does but that became too much of a hassle arguing with flight attendants. Before I purchased my flight case I used a SKB case-only once! I had the pleasure of watching my F bass fall from the luggage belt to the concrete below as I got off the plane on a trip to Nashville. VERY distressing. Luckily the bass was fine and the airline replaced the case! When I fly I usually detune my strings a tone. No matter what type of case you have always get your instrument insured! There are different regulations for international flights that limit the airlines liability for damage. Never assume the airline will pay for any damage they cause.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I wouldn't gamble on getting a spot for a gigbag. If you want your bass insured in a cargo hold it's not free. Pack your bass as if your worst enemy would be handling it.

I spoke with a friend who just flew cross country and took a guitar with her, in a gigbag. She and her travelling companion filled the overhead with their stuff, packing it carefully.

It was a full flight and eventually a flight attendant decided more stuff would have to fit and proceeded to jam it in, on top of the neck. Fortunately there was no damage but she freaked out.