Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am going to meet with a bass teacher

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kalo, Apr 26, 2005.

1. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Hi all,

I finally decided to break down and find a bass teacher...It's hard to find a bass teacher who actually plays nothing but bass. This guy is a solid stand up bassist who also plays electric bass...

I am hoping that this bass teacher will help me. Ya see I have been playing guitar for 6 years and when I go to play bass I don't know how to keep the groove down...

Tend to want to over play and play lead stuff...I don't want to play bass like a guitarist does.....I want to play bass like a bass player...

In talking with this bass teacher over the phone he said that reading music is VERY IMPORTANT..I am reculantent to read, but I am going to try it as I am thinking that it will help me understand about rhythmn...

My problem has been that I have never copied any bass stuff off CD's and I am wondering if that is what is missing in my playing....Maybe I really don't need a teacher...

Well, I hope that this teacher will teach me theory, sight reading, as well as playing other people's stuff....

I am very picky about teachers and can never seem to find a good one....

I am embrassed to say that six years of playing rhythm guitar as well as lead and I can't come up with anything good on bass...

Hey, at least I admit it....I hope all that changes once I find a good teacher....Sure, I can phsyically play bass, but grooving and coming up with lines is another thing....

I think that most guitarist just get used to shredding and showing off that we don't stop to think about timming and stuff and when given a bass it's a different roll and different instrument all together...

I highly respect it....So wish me luck...Thanks, Kalo!

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I would suggest learning to read just for the sake of learning to read. It's really helpful in quite a few situations. Having a teacher is something I HIGHLY suggest to pretty much anyone starting out on bass wether they've been playing other instruments before or not. There are a lot of things I learned in the first fifteen minutes of the first lesson that it would have taken me a long long long time to learn otherwhise (mostly technique and such).

Anyway, good luck!

3. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks Justin!!!

I'll let everyone know has it goes....

4. Good for you! I read the bass clef because I was older and wiser when I decided to make a committment to bass. I seldom bother with the treble clef unless I am having a discussion with someone about the music because I can "get by" on guitar and steel guitar using my ear and experience. About 25 years ago I had an opportunity to study guitar with the great jazz musician, Johnny Smith; however, I decided not to after he insisted that I learn to read. Now I kick myself. A couple years of lessons with him would have made me a vastly better guitarist and musician in general. So, have fun and learn a lot.