1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am going to return my Carvin BX500 amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Axtman, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I have been on the fence since I received the amp 8 days ago.

My main beef is that the amp just feels, for lack of a better word, cheap. I have only gigged with it (at church and practice) 2 times. The amp sounded okay. Not great but not bad.

Well today I was practicing for a gig tonight and I went to put the amp in mute mode and I snapped the bat off the toggle switch. So the amp is now permanently in mute mode. :bawl:

That was the last straw. I want my gear to be somewhat more durable....not that I throw stuff around or abuse my gear.

So Monday morning the amp goes back to Carvin for a refund.

2. You know, I live (probably) ten miles from Carvin. Never played their products but I have known many guys who SWORE by them back in the early 80s and several guys STILL go into the studio with them. I was on tour in 81 and it seemed like everywhere we went, Carvin was the hot topic.

My point is that it seems as though the last 6-8 months, I have seen a BUNCH of complaints about their product line.

Has there been a big change over there? I mean, their stuff USED to be fairly reliable....I'm just curious as to what the heck happened to their QC??

Good luck, though!!

3. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Thanks. BTW I am not trashing Carvin as a company. I LOVE my Carvin XB75 bass! The workmanship is top of the line! I think Carvin's instruments are great. I am just not thrilled with their electronics.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    In my experience, I'd say Carvin makes some great basses and some "good" amps. They seem to be popping up with more quality control issues than they used to. My favorite carvin is still the PB500 I had circa '92 or so. Nice full, fat sound, nothing like how carvin is described today. That's one amp I'd still like to find even though they are pretty much out of date and un-fixable, parts runs discontinued, etc. Had a redline after that, ok amp but really lacked compared to the PB500. I guess that was when they went from really good to sterile and underpowered. Didn't jump on the B1500 bandwagon, got enough amps around here that sound good and still work, not really in the market for an amp.

5. On *ahem* another bass forum, someone was asking why Carvin insists on using those small switches, seems the poster sees them broken quite often!

6. Ah, the underpowered B1500 and B2000. Good point. :rolleyes: Just to clarify, the last Carvin amp you used thoroughly was a Redline?

7. brocco

brocco

Feb 27, 2010
    I used mine last night in a loud 2 guitar group.I use 2 1x12 Deltalite cabs.This rigs just kills!had the drive up 3/4,scooped the mids about 1/2 and a little compression.Master on about 3Talk about punch!At any time I could be over the top of the whole group.......amazing.I also have a WA Scout, SVP PRO/Crown & RBI sans amp,But this is my go to in a loud setting.Had mine 2 years never had a problem.

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    For one thing, the BX500 is very inexpensive for the performance you get, and if it doesn't sound good you must be running thru a less-than-stellar cab.

As for the toggle's, they aren't very sturdy but you shouldn't be snapping them unless you're pretty rough with it.

I just bought a new MB10 micro combo so we'll see how it holds up when I jam with it. I plan on pushing the little bugger with a drummer + guitarist.

9. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Jeef7bass,

I don't know what happened. I just flipped the toggle and it came apart in my fingers. I did NOT drop it or a knock into it. It must have been defective. Of all the switches to break. I could work around the passive/active switch breaking or the eg in/out switch breaking. BTW, I used a paper clip to flip the switch and turn it to permanent unmute mode. I really like the mute function though.

The cabinet I use is an Epifani 310 older nonNeo version. It sounds great with other amp heads!

10. I have a kinda/sorta predecessor to the BX500...a BX600, which I've had for a couple of years. Yes, the mini-toggle switches look fragile, but in 2 years of playing...including dragging it out to the clubs for live gigs...I've never had an issue. Not the mini-toggles...nothing. Works like the day I got it: flawless.