1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am Hip Hop

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by palm grease, Mar 10, 2008.

1. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    ok ok relax... i know there are some anti hiphop kids out there but..........

i have been asked to play!

i come from a big jazz/funk/fusion foundation and let me tell you... the focus and timing needed to pull this off is staggering!....if i stumble on a note in River People it will soon fade away.... however in a hip hop setting if i flub nothing can be more death defying (literally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

the group is called Smiff n Blizz feat DJ Omen and (us) The Brick Brothers Foundation.

Ill post some tunes as we move forward...myspaz and all that shiz.

so i guess the point of my thread is to expose the difficulties of playing in this setting...

any questions are welcome!

wish me luck!

2. Juss props. I'd love to lay down some bass in a similar setting- and I'm an old white guy. :eek: Seriously, I think one should expose themselves to as many different styles of music(not getting into(*is it/is it not music*)as possible. Have fun. :cool:

3. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC

Pino cant be the only one!

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've been playing in a kind of Hip Hop type of format but with dub reggae. Timing and tempo is key, because we are a rhythm section with a DJ. If our drummer speeds up or slows down, our DJ is knocked out, and our sound suffers because he can't lay down the loops that are integral to the song. Hip Hop is very similar. The difficulty lies in the perfection of it.

5. I'm also in a hip hop band!

if you're interested we have 1 song recorded and a video at

www.myspace.com/fofsoul

6. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    Warehouse/Shop Asst. & endorsing artist of Warwick Basses
    Good job man, keep it alive. you'll hear about my stuff soon.

7. Good going.

What bass player wouldnt like the solid line in Rappers Delight, not all hip hop is bad :)

8. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I've played a lot of improv hip-hop stuff...it was a lot of fun. I agree that you have to be very consistent, but overall, I found it really easy. Maybe it was just really easy for me to stay focused and to stay in the pocket. Who knows. Compared to the metal I'm playing now...it was cake!

9. That bass line did not originate in Hip Hop. ;)

10. I know, but its a hip hop song with a good bass line :p

11. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    indeed it is!

Im a Roots, Digable Planets, D'Angelo, Pharcyde, Tribe, De La Soul, CeeLo, Beasties etc kinda guy... i have played this stuff before but this is much more "professional"....

so far so good!

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Sounds like a fun gig.

Please don't take this as a slight against you or anything. I think its just the way you worded it, but everytime I see this thread title, I think of these lines from Sage Francis:

13. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    hahaha no beef what so ever! you and i go back as a matter of fact!

fozywomping ring bells?

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    For some reason, it seems like that stands out in my mind, but I have NO idea why. The old TB chat? AIM? I dunno. Sounds like something from the Ren and Stimpy Show. :)

15. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    working out swing 16th note feel in some hip hop songs was a cool learning experience for me. alas, that is a distant memory from my current gig.

16. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
  17. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    I love your avatar. Keep posting please.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Adron think the old offical TB chat.

19. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    hey Kev... yeah that and bassnutz.com... i think socom spent some time there too.