I AM IN IDIOT!!!! (ups content)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Zako, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Zako

Zako

May 9, 2007
    Waterloo, IA
    So i ordered an amp from ebay, turns out the only place where i didnt update my new address was on my ebay account.

I thought the seller would go off my pay pal address. but nope. now my amp was delivered to my old address like 2 weeks ago.

Now i dont know what to do, if i can do anything for that matter. is there anyway i can find my package? any advice? :crying::crying:

2. Oooh...Amazon, Musician's Friend, places like that can try to help you--but eBay? YIKES! Unless the person at your old address returned it to UPS (call UPS and ask), you might look for it again on eBay...but this time from a seller living at your old address. :meh:

If you can, I'd drive over to your old address and talk to the people living there now. They might be really cool and say something like, "Yeah, we were wondering who this was for. We weren't sure what to do with it. Well, here ya go."

Never know...could happen. :)

BTW, you're an idiot...not in idiot. :smug:

3. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    The last time I had this happen, I updated everything but the paypal address. They always ship to the one address you haven't updated. I suppose it's Murphy's Law in action.

There's hope that the current residents will reject the package. It can take a couple of weeks for the package to return to sender. It's amazing how honest people are. Don't panic! Returns don't get shipping priority, I think.

You can always send a letter. You know the address, after all!

4. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    i've had this happen...to my old address a state away. fun times. hope it all works out.

5. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    I guess it depends on the state law where you live but the thing is you will likely have to depend on the person who received it is a nice guy, because my understanding is, if they didn't order it, and it was delivered to them by mistake, thru no fault of their own, it is now their property to do with as they please. Last month, I ordered a screwdriver from Amazon.The same day I received delivery of the screwdriver, in the same shipment, different box (same size box, same address label and everything, box must have been mislabeled.), I was accidentally sent a computer hard drive, worth about $140. Being a nice guy I called them up to inform them of their mistake, and was told I could keep it, no charge.
    An additional problem for you is that it was your mistake, UPS or ebay hold no legal responsibility. If they don't want to, they might not have to compensate you. I would at least try what totallyfrozen said, speak to the people at your old addy and see what they say. But don't give up on ebay or Paypal, talk to a rep from both and see what they can do. Maybe you'll get lucky.And just to be sure, see what UPS might have to say too. Maybe they can help.

6. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    You're in idiot, huh?

Well... GET OUT!

Problem solved. ;)

7. Zako

Zako

May 9, 2007
    Waterloo, IA
    thanks for the advice guys, im gonna call ups first thing in the morning. but i work all day so going to my old house will have to wait till next day i think. even though it is just across town basically :p Im just thinking of the 2 weeks thing, seems like a lot of time where anything could go wrong...i contacted the seller earlier tonight, asking if anything went wrong cuz i hadnt received it yet. gave me the tracking number, everything checked out fine, except the address of course.

and my bad lol. im "an" idiot. haha

8. When I used to sell stuff on eBay, I was always contacting customers because there were all sorts of names and addresses flying all over the place. Some had different addresses between eBay and Paypal, some had different names, and some had different names AND addresses. People don't seem to take care when dealing with their money online.

All were very relieved when I contacted them though, so they could amend their details before anything went wrong. Your seller should have done the same. So it's your bad for not updating your details properly, but it's also the seller's bad for not doing a basic check.

9. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Call UPS. They will call / go back to your old addy.

10. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    Was it shipped as requiring a signiture on delivery? Something as large and expensive as an amp should have been. At the very least call UPS and see if they got that sig. At the very least if they have that, and that person denies having it, you know that person is lying. And Im willing to bet that whoever has will cough it up if you show up.
    Most people avoid confrontation, and if you arrive at your old residence stating that a large valuable package was delivered there by mistake, and was signed for, I bet they produce an amp. Once you state it was signed for 95% of the pop will feel 'busted' (even tho they did nothing wrong) and will cop a plea.
    Best of luck.

11. Zako

Zako

May 9, 2007
    Waterloo, IA
    The seller said "Well...i did my job, good luck to ya." great...

oh and is the UPS store the same as regular ups? i tried the 1800 number but they just gave options on buying things pretty much, no claim stuff.

12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Stupid question, did you check at your old address? Try that. Also, usually E-bay and PayPal sellers are pretty strict with shipping off PayPal confirmed addresses, so that is strange, but not the issue. Get to where your package was delivered as soon as you can. If it was out of your area, then a address search will usually give you a phone number for the resident. Call. Tell them the truth.

13. Zako

Zako

May 9, 2007
    Waterloo, IA
    ok its all good! i got my amp. :D the nice people at my old address were using my amp/package as a thing to put mail on :)

now i have a Peavey 400BH mark IV to match my T-40 :D

14. I would say, at the minimum, a nice thank you card is in order for the people at your old address.

15. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    ^^^+1.
    It's a good thing they were honest.

16. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Yes, a thank you card... and don't buy any lottery tickets for a while, I'd say you've already used up your "luck" allotment for this quarter. :D

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021