1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I am in Lefty hell

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chachie, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Chachie

Chachie Banned

Aug 20, 2012
    Hey guys,
    Fast run down, lefty guitarist for 19 years. Took a long break from studying. During the break I realized how much I admired our bass players for our bands. I had some awakening or something, where I realized I found bass notes more interesting, where as the guitar just reminded me of a highly caffeinated person talking to me on an airplane the whole flight.

More seriously, its the bass that moves me after long time of reflecting. So I started playing more and more etc...on the bass. I had bought a real cheap-o few years back, finally got around to taking it seriously.

So here is my hell...
    All I can locate and find, are Fenders, Squirers, Ibanez and Hofners. < No ty! Paul, chill on the brows.

What I like to play is, motown,R&B,funk, and some Jazz.
    I have searched for Sadowskys, only have one lefty and to pricey for me.

Laklands, I am waiting to here back from them. I really like those, looks, sound.

Brubakers, Brutes, I dig those...cant find them in lefty. No response from email yet. I also like MTD's, again waiting on some info from them as well.

So tired of Fenders, all I played my whole life. Tele's and Strats and sometimes PRS. Id like to try something new, a brand like Lakland or Brubakers, that Brute!

I am in So Cal, called every single place, looked everywhere online.

Any suggestions on what Bass to check out? I am sort of becoming flustered here, I feel like I have found my options, but I wanted to ask you guys if Im missing a few brands?

Thanks guys,
    chad

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Lefties definitely have it rougher. I sold my first custom bass the other day, and he's a lefty. It's been a bit of adjustment consciously thinking about reversing certain parts of the build process.

He has been playing righty basses his whole life, and I guess has just gotten used to it.

You might look into Tom Clement: http://www.clementbass.com/web/
    AC Guitars also: http://acguitars.co.uk/Home/

They are custom builders, but not as expensive as you might be thinking.

3. Chachie

Chachie Banned

Aug 20, 2012
    ^ Awesome thank you. AC has some sharp looking basses. I will email them both.
    I know all about the reversing of righty guitars and basses, believe me lol PITA

4. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    I just got a lefty AC bass - its a five string jazz and it is awesome! He is building another lefty now its a 5 string with a single MM type pickup you should pm the builder Skelf he is on the Luthier forum.

5. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Have you considered a Carvin? Mostly they're built-to-order, and they definitely do lefties. They also have a section on their site with basses in stock. They currently have 4 lefty basses in stock. They also have a couple of stores in California. I'm not a lefty, but I am a huge Carvin fan, and I recommend you at least check out Carvin.com

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I realize your sick of it but I would easily pick Fender as the bass of choice for motown, R&B, funk... and some jazz. Especially as a lefty. Thankfully I am a lefty who has always played right so I never had to go down that hell, but I can relate to your pain.

I am a huge Carvin fan, recently got my first one, but if I was playing in any of the mentioned genres I would take my precision bass ten times out of ten, wouldn't even bother bringing a back up (unless I was planning on doing some serious slapping)

If you're bored with Fender why Lakland? Sounds like you love the basses just not the brand...

7. Chachie

Chachie Banned

Aug 20, 2012
    Bored with Fender, but why Lakland? Eh....man its tough to articulate in words for me I guess. It would be like having a sedan, and buying a diff brand sedan? I just wanted to taste something diff. From Benz to Beamer, etc. My truck to another brand truck. BAH!

But reality is telling me Fender, which im cool with! And fits my style of play just fine. Just wanted to possibly taste a little something diff :scowl:

This came about as I was noodling on my buddies righty basses, all of which were top notch brands alot of you guys use.

Ill check Carvins, but I never was a fan either, guitar wise, not sure about Bass. Edit - Some nice Basses Im seeing, I had not a clue.

:hyper:

8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    yah seems tough for lefty's

really unless you want a fancy boutique style bass with drastic design changes from the norm.

Almost every bass is a fender copy with some goofy cut neck to look different. So stick with the original.

Otherwise just build a parts bass, and get the body/ neck style you want. higher cost but once your happy your happy.

9. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Manager - Zon Guitars
  10. This :)

Great bunch, and I've scored an amazing Warmoth neck, an 80's MIJ Jazz and a Mike Lull.

11. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Fellow lefty, Carvin,G&L, and Warwick are the most lefty friendly imo.

12. Chachie

Chachie Banned

Aug 20, 2012
    Hello LEFTYS!

Ill head on over there.

Last night I was checking out the Warmoth site, holy smokes....not even sure where to start there lol. Checked out the warmoth thread on here as well. Didnt dig that deep yet though. Thats after dinner tonight!

I checked out Southpaw..something.com as well, nothing really caught my eye. I think in that little search I did, I came across LeftyBassist, but got lost in my search. Ill check it! Suppose checking out a lefty bass forum would be a good start lol. Thanks guys.

chad

13. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick &amp; Framus Social Media
    Chachie, Warwick offers most of our models in left-handed version, for no additional charge. Please let me know if you've got any questions or if I can assist you in any way. Thanks!

14. EasyMurder

EasyMurder

Jul 31, 2011
    One Word:
    Warwick

15. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Germans seem to make more lefty basses in general - Sandberg and Clover also offer "sinister" models.

16. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I think it's safer to say Germans just make everything awesome.

17. Chachie

Chachie Banned

Aug 20, 2012
    :bassist:

Thank you very much. Thats great, most models in lefty...
    I had assumed again...it was just the usual couple and rest righty. I must now look more thorough.

Thanks WarOffical

18. bleepo

bleepo

Feb 6, 2003
    Calgary
    I can't vouch for him but http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/lh_bass.htm offers a lot of lefties.

I'm a Warwick player myself. They're hard to come by but every one of the pro series made in Korea except the artist models and the Streamer Stage I is available in left handed. Of course the colours are limited as they often are but at least they're not all black! Most of their Germans are available left handed as well as mentioned.

Spector makes some lefties (with a surcharge) g&l does a tribute l2000 as well as most of their us line. Lakland does us models but no skylines. The mtd line is fully available lefty to my knowledge with the exception of the zx. Yamaha always has a couple, as do most other major brands. Schecter does most models as well. There's even a lefty u-bass.

There are a few that do not under any circumstances. Gibson hasn't made a lefty in years. Dingwall won't. Many of the mass produced overseas basses don't do a lefty run such as the Brubaker Brutes (I'd love one too), and the lakland skyline.

The toughest part is buying them. My last 4 were bought online. But they're out there, from $100 Rondo instruments to $10,000 Fedoras. You just have to know what you want and there's a good chance you can find something close.

For the record I did a Motown tune with my band on the u-bass and it sat perfectly.

19. Chachie

Chachie Banned

Aug 20, 2012
    Oh boy I see some nice basses on there, good prices too. I wanna hover around the 1k mark. Thanks Bleepo for the run down.