Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am in need of a Custom Guage set of SS's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tecx, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I just switched to CGDA, and I need a new custom set of Stainless strings... I curently use D'addario Pro Steels, 95-75-55-35, but with the low c and g - its a tad bit floppy... I used to use DR's and they offer custom sets, my P is 32" scale so would 110-90-60-30 work well you think?..

Does anyone else use custom guage sets?..

cheers

Alex

2. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    30 sounds right, 60 sounds right, 90 sounds right - as for the C - I'd think more along the lines of a relatively light-gauge B string. In other words 125, or something along those lines...

3. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Hmmm... yeah... Maybe I would need somthing a bit heavier for the c, I don't want to go higher than 120 though...

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Go to the D'Addario site and download their string tension file. Start with the gauge you prefer when the bass is tuned to E A D G. Look up the tensions. Then find the gauges that give your roughly the same tensions when tuned to your tuning. Then go to Just String and buy singles. They have DA XLs and ProSteel singles.

Dave

5. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Thanks man!!!

Alex

6. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I just started using custom guages purchased thru Just Strings. I have a Carvin LB75P neck thru 5 string w/thru body. I'm using .135T .110 .90 .70 .50 & switched from .130T-.45 set of Prosteels. Price is about $4 more to purchase a set in singles.
    My initial impression is good. Little extra tension. My action is 1.5/32"(G) - 2/32"(B). Very good for a 34" 1 peice maple neck.
    With regular guage the fret buzz was sometimes distracting, w/heavy strings IMO it's a more pleasant growl. Also the A D G string sound more even & bassier.
    If you're going to be tuning down you should definately go heavier. Follow the directions on Gary Willis's site when adjusting truss rod.