I am in the middle of a tough descision.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gallienkrueger, Oct 9, 2002.

1. what should i get?

now i know that obvious that the warwick users willt ell me to get the warwick and the carvin users will tell me to get the Carvin. so i please ask the non warwick or carvin users to give me their opinion(along with the users)
  2. I don't own either a carvin or a warwick but I would go definately for the warwick. I would love to own a corvette FNA jazzman..
    Isn't it way more expensive than the carvin?
    and another question... does the corvette have an asymetrical neck? I'm ont sure about that, but it could be an important factor for the desicion..
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

4. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I would definatly without a doubt go with the other one:D
  5. I think he meant none of them... :p
  6. I would go with none of them as well, how about a Lakland Skyline?
  7. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I really meant it is kind of absurd to ask me,or anyone, to tell you which bass you want. :rolleyes: IMHO so definatly go with that one, like I said before. Sorry, I guess I am not much help here:p
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Carvin's have been said to have pretty weak sounding pups and pre's. I haven't played one personally, though.

I have played the FNA Jazzman (4's and 5's), and they are great sounding basses. That is where my money would go.
  9. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Get what I have!

sorry, I just felt like that's what everybody else always says...

I've got a Warwick, I've got some Carvins.
    They are both very different.
    I've played (and almost bought) a Warwick Streamer Jazzman, very similar to the Corvette Jazzman pictured. It's nice and growly/punchy.

I had a Carvin very similar to the one pictured. It's more mellow sounding, perhaps a little more versatile, what with the piezos...

What do you look for in a bass? What do you like?

We can't decide for you, but maybe we can provide some details and comparisons.

Are those your only 2 choices?
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I've owned both. I had a Carvin 5 that wouldn't stay in tune. They took it back. I had a Warwick 5 Corvette. It was inexpensive but was well made and sounded pretty good. Nice and woody. Natural sounding. I thought the Carvin lacked attention to detail. I'd play both and go with your gut. Warwicks seem to have a better resale, also

11. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I haven't played either of them ... but, the warwick looks pretty sexy.
  12. I have this Warwick but I have never played Carvin. Anyway, I own a Jazz bass and a Pedulla Rapture, and if the Pedulla and the fender are quite close in sound and feel, the Warwick is very different. You have too try it before, because it's a really good bass, but it can also be very different of what you expect: the neck, though comfortable, is bigger than anything, and it plays and sound very differently of the other basses I've tried. But it sounds, feel and looks very good.
  13. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    just my opinion but I think of the two, the Warwick is the better bass
  14. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  15. I'd probably choose the Warwick over the Carvin if i were to buy it without playing it. But I'd probably go with the G&L barroso posted.
  16. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I've never played a Carvin, but I've played plenty of Warwicks... which brings me to my point.

I've played a load of Warwicks, and I have found that I love cheap Warwicks, but can't stand the top of the range stuff... love their rockbass range, but couldn't spend more than a couple of minutes on an SSII. The best Warwick I ever played was a bolt on 2002 6 string Corvette (yet I hate their 4 string and the 5 string was pretty average).

Point is, it's each to their own... play both and then make up your mind based on your own preference.
  17. The Warwick. Course I would get only 4 strings but hey, you've got the money.
  18. Which one is going to:

1. Get you the most gigs?

2. Give you max Versatility?

3. Have the best resale?

4. Play the most responsively to your hands?

5. Remain in your arsenal the longest? Would you see yourself "getting tired of it" or "looking for something else" like we all see so often in the For Sale ads around here?

Hope this helps.