I am in Toronto and need to know where to buy...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Human Bass, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I heard there is a street in the downtown that is full of musical instruments stores...I really need to know the name of this street!!!:help:

So I will finally find a good lefty bass!:hyper:
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Um...Younge Street? :\
    There's BOUND to be some music stores on that street :p

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I was on that street (the one with lots of music stores on it, including Steve's)(it's not Young St.) last year. I bought DR Lo-Riders in Steve's, they ended up being a disappointment. I hope to try out DRs again soon, I hope the ones I had were just some deviation from the average.
  4. Moreau

Jan 3, 2006
    the street you seek is known as queen. head west from yonge, and ye shall find steves, songbird, capsule and more. I like songbird for the parts and some sweet vintage gear.
  5. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Queen Street west of Yonge (pronounced Young).
    - Steve's
    - Songbird (mostly used)
    - Capsule (used)
    - Club Bass (the real good stuff - further west on Ossington around the corner from Queen St.)

There is also The Twelth Fret and Long & McQuade's which are not in the same area.
  6. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Steve's Music on Queen St West will probably have some left handed basses. Club Bass on Ossington may also, but call them first or check their website for what they have in stock.

Songbird on Queen St W may have something used in stock, but call first.

Long and McQuade is on Bloor St West near Ossington. They probably have some new lefts in stock.

The 12th Fret is on Danforth just east of Woodbine. They don't have a large bass section. You can call them to see what they have in stock. They also have a website.

The two biggest music stores are Long and McQuade and Steve's.
  7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    There are a number of Pawn Shops on Church St just north of Queen St East. You'll find lots of used guitars and amps there.

8. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    It's been mentioned, but Steve's Music has a really good selection of everything. In some cases, their prices are substantially lower than at say, Long & McQuade.

But when you want to play a bass or guitar, you have to ask them to bring it down for you, and usually this takes a while, because they're always busy. It's also quite cramped in there.

9. I am a big Steves guy, Nigel there is the man and is a very honest and good guy. At least to me. Only thing with Steves is I rarely see any good basses there except the tons of Spectors they always have. I have seen good basses though. L&M I have only been to once. Wicked selection of used rack mount gear and after finally finding out where the basses were was suprised by a few Smiths (one which I bought) and Modulus basses.
  10. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    just another possibility if you like- there is a really nice lefty FBass BN5 hanging at the shop in Hamilton (about a 40 min drive)....if you call George he'll give you directions.

all the other places mentioned are cool too.

11. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Steve's is probably the biggest, but if it is anything like the one here in Montreal, it's like a meat market. For the most part, they are more interested in making the sale than making sure you get what you need. Sure, the prices are a little better but the service is not as good as it could be.

A place like Club Bass on the other hand, will take the time to asses your needs and all the equipment they sell they stand by 100%. They weed out the crap for you so you know it is good stuff to start off with.

All the Long & McQuaide's I have been to (Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver) have been pretty good. They do not hound you like many places do and they are available and helpful with any questions you might have.
  12. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    :) Thank you all very much!!!