1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I am looking for 35 inch 5-strings bass without deep contour cut (a.k.a. tummy cut, belly cut).

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NakajimaYusuke, Aug 19, 2017.

1. NakajimaYusuke

NakajimaYusuke

Apr 5, 2017
    Japan
    Hi, I am playing right handed bass in upside-down about 10 years. For details, please read this thread.
    I am upside down bassist. And I want to buy a right handed fanned fret bass.

And I am planning to buy a new 35 inch 5-strings bass.drool (I am playing 34 inch 4strings bass now.)
    If I buy right handed bass and use it upside down, the body shape of bass is important.
    In my style, there must not be deep contour cut (tummy cut, belly cut) on the back of the body.

j_E4h6lG0J.
    Deep contour cut makes the edge of body thinner and sharp.
    Therefore, such a bass is unstable on my thighs and it hurts my thighs in upside down playing. :crying:
    (I don't play the bass in standing.)

I experienced this problem even in 4 strings bass.
    For heavyer 5 string bass, the problem will be more serious. Blood flow in my legs might stop.:dead:

So, I am looking for a 35 inch 5-strings model without deep contour cut.
    For example, the Ibanez SR series does not have contour cut, the contour shape is round.
    Electric Basses SR - SRFF805 Bass Workshop | Ibanez guitars
    Do you know other models like this?

In parallel with this, I am planning to buy a lefty bass and replace the nut and strings upside down.(Jimmy Haslip style MOD.)
    But please give me informations about "35 inch 5-strings model without deep contour cut" in this thread.
    Thank you.:help:

2. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    The BTB Ibanez 35" scale basses are excellent but might not play well upside down, but they might have left hand versions.

3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Rob Allan MB-2

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Why not buy a left handed bass and string it for a righty?
    Alot of leftys have done that.

Jim Carr and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  5. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Read his other thread opener linked to above: he wants to try a reversed fan. However, indeed he may couple a left-handed body (and solve the belly cut problem) to a righty multiscale conversion neck. If he can find one, that is. Stambaugh? Novax? Moses? Payson?

@NakajimaYusuke: the way I see it, the most simple solution is to try out the instrument you want, decide if reverse-fanned frets are for you, then have a woodworker/metal worker/3d printer (hey, why not?) add a custom "saddle" at the contour cut, one that fits your thigh. Try and have the lock-in mechanism be as inconspicuous as possible (at the belly cut itself): it will still lower the resale value in case you decide to sell the instrument, but not by much.

6. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    MTD has this exact feature you're looking for, way reduced tummy cut. Carvin LB and XB series also has a way reduced tummy cut. My XB75PF does.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  7. NakajimaYusuke

NakajimaYusuke

Apr 5, 2017
    Japan
    I appreciate the information. Thanks guys.
    It is also one of my plan. I also have the possibility to buy a left handed bass.
    If I use the left handed bass, there will be no problem with the body shape.
    And I don't have to relocate the control knobs. This is also a big advantage.

Thank you for reading another thread.
    I wrote in that thread "I want to buy a right handed fanned fret bass."
    Currently,this is the most attractive option for me, but it is not a final decision yet.

If I had difficulty playing fanned fret bass in my style,
    or if I know other attractive alternatives, I may not buy a fanned fret bass.

The final decision is to buy 35 inch 5-string bass.
    I am currently looking for a lot of choices about it.

The saddle idea is interesting.
    I have seen something like that in some Atlansia models.
    This model is Atlansia DUALIST EBONY. This seems to be kind to my thigh.
    -jZvYoqA6N.
    If I bought a model with a deep contour cut for some reason, I might try custom saddle.

8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Seems to me that the solution is to use a strap while sitting.
    If you did,the "tummy cut" would be a non issue.
    Just switch the strap peg to the short horn.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    NakajimaYusuke and Jim Carr like this.
  9. NakajimaYusuke

NakajimaYusuke

Apr 5, 2017
    Japan