1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am looking for a tone...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EXILE03, Oct 22, 2013.

1. EXILE03

EXILE03

Jan 19, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    *please move this if in the wrong place*

I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish a certain tone I sorta have in my head. It involves heavy flats, lots of low mids, but still lots of clarity and attack. I'm thinking of either an active J Bass or a short-scale SG bass. Also, I'd prefer more budget-conscious suggestions.

A few videos to give a bit of an idea:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9F7GwW30AI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0ltd8JhaKE

2. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    The 3 videos all sound different to me. Which one do you prefer?
    Also, what is your bass? I normally use chromes. They sound like the first video on my modern active bass, but more like (not quite as muddy) vid 3 on my PJ.
    I recently tried sadowsky flats and on a modern bass they sounded like the 2nd vid.

3. The G-L stands out to me as a lovely tone. The Jazz was OK and the SG so-so to me. I tend to think any two pickup modern bass will get pretty much most the tones you need. But there is definitely a case for Precision-style with flats and Jazz style with rounds.

Davo

4. EXILE03

EXILE03

Jan 19, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    I have a Hofner CT Violin Bass, Squier Standard Jazz, TBC 5-string (basically an SR5 that looks different), and a Squier Mikey Way Mustang. And yes, I'm definitely thinking chromes. Right now only my Hofner and Jazz have flats (LaBella and Ernie Ball, respectively). Also, those vids are just for a vague idea/concept of the type of sound I'm going for.

5. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I can cop the first 2 sounds. The SG not so much with my SR5 strung with EBMM Group IV flats. A budget solution may be the new SUB series strung the same way. I just pump the mids, and add a little bass.

6. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

You should check out some YouTube vids of a Stingray with flats.

7. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    99% of my musical life has been spent chasing a tone in my head, and I'm still looking. I used to string a Stu Hamm USA Fender Urge with roto Flats, and it could cop most of those sounds switching between the three pickups, but the string tension was killing the little neck on that bass, plus it wasn't exactly low budget. maybe start with some light flats on a J' and look out for a pre amp or EQ with a mid frequency sweep, so you can dial in exactly where the punch will be.

8. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Makes me want to throw my chromes back on my G&L............

9. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Id say you can get that sound with a stingray!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only vid recorded with halfway decent sound was the first. But there are several different basses that can get you a quality fat sound like that.