1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am missing something-How did Luke and Leia get separated?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, May 26, 2012.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My daughter asked "How come Leia got to be a princess and Luke had to go live with his aunt and uncle?" Leia's mother was a princess, so...but what happened with Luke?

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    They were safer separated than together. Vader would of been looking for twins and probably wouldn't of considered them being separated at birth - making it less likely for him to find them.

I think.

3. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    Revenge of the sith does explain that. Obi wan also explained it a new hope.

4. If I remember correctly, it has been a little while since I saw the movies and just started reading the books, that they were hidden from the Emperor, not Vader. Vader believed Padame(sp?) had died before she had the children so I am not sure he knew she survived to have them.

Also, in Return of the Jedi, Vader makes the comment "a sister, you have a sister". He wouldn't have made that comment if he knew about Leia.

When the children were born and Yoda/Obi Wan decided they must be hidden, the Governor makes the comment that he would take Leia since he and his wife had wanted a daughter. Luke went to his uncle since he was the only living relative, I think.

5. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Palpatine told Vader that they died, separating them was part redundant measure, part logistics.

As for protection from Palpatine himself, I don't know if he knew whether or not the twins were alive when he told Vader they died. It's hard to say whether or not he could have eventually found the paper trail leading to their birth. On the one hand, he's the Emperor but on the other, the Empire was built on ridiculous bureaucracy and I've gotta figure Yoda and co took precautions against that sort of thing.

6. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Hide Luke in plain sight, keeping the same last name, Skywalker, and living with his aunt and uncle in Bel Air...umm...I mean...Tatooine.

7. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Lawrence Kasden (sp?) came up with having them be a big, dysfunctional family when writing Empire.

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yup...with the 2nd most powerful Jedi (left) as your silent guardian...I think it was a bold, yet awesome decision..I only wish them last 3 movies were better. I knew where we would end up, I just wish the journey there was compelling. It wasn't.

9. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    80's pop schlop

"Let's hear it for the boy-oy"
    "Let's give that boy a hannnnd"

in case you forgot

10. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Wasn't it something like he would only know of one, not both?