Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am nervous!!! Tell me to chill plz!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Feb 27, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well my band is playing its first real gig in over 18 months. It has been 2 years since we were giging on a regular basis.

I keep thinking of the "what if's". Our singer often forgets lyrics. What if I forget to tune back to standard after a drop "D" tune. Will my electronics in my Modulus Q5 work without fail, I dont have a backup 5 string. Sometimes I dont look forward to playing out!!!

Kick me in the tail please!!!

2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Your just nervous...

I always PHREAK out before I play, But as soon as I hit the first note Im fine... Just dont let your fight/Flight get in the way...

LOL, I used to talk to myself before playing...

Me: Wow its hot with all the light.... and people watching you
    Me 2: WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!?! RUN YOU FOOL!!!
    Me: Ill be fine...
    Me 2: *** are you talking about?!?! YOURE GONNA FALL OR SOMTHING!!

LOL, This wouls go on for like 6 min. or more.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I rarely have a problem with performing, but sometimes, should I be feeling a bit apprehensive or whatever, something that helps me is realizing that the audience(more often than not) wants to be entertained, and they want you to do well.

I dunno, I guess depending how you look at it that might make things worse, but it works for me :p

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Dude, chill.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    chill please. :D You'll do fine.

6. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Did you get nervous when your band gigged two years ago? I would guess that the answer is yes.

No matter how many gigs I play, I always get nervous before hand. I have a gig tomorrow night and the nervousness is now starting to kick in. However; I know I always get like this before a gig, and after the first couple of songs it will be completely gone and I will be having a blast up there.

Interestingly enough, the memory that helps me the most is a bad gig that my old band had once. It was just one of those nights, everyone screwed up at some point in the show. I remember I was really embarressed at first, but then I realized, I am up here to have fun, so have fun damn it! Thats exactly what I did, my attitude changed to a dont take so seriously type of thing, and I kicked ass the rest of the gig. I think about that gig everytime I step on stage, and it helps tremendously.

So the bottom line? We all get nervous, but, no matter what, remember why you are up there. To have fun.

Peace and good luck.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Even in the most energetic well delivered shows, there is some mistake, or snafu that happens. That is the live performance.

You know what to expect in rehearsal. Onstage is where you have to develope a level of expectation. You have to play more live gigs, in order to develope a measure of what's going on onstage.

Get out there!

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Oh I forgot to mention we havent practiced in 3 weeks :eek: .

My biggest fear is that my brain will get in the way of my hands moving. Thinking that it is in a different key went its not. That kind of thing. I guess that happens when you play 45-50 songs a night.

We have alot of gigs in a short period, 6 in three weeks. So the cash will be nice!

Thanx far all the well wishes so far. If anyone is out and about in Sounthern Minnesota on Sat. let me know.

9. The first gig my semi-current band did, we had a new drummer and rhythm guitarist the weekend before the gig, and had 2 practises before the gig. It went super well, and we've had 5 bookings on the strength of it. I didn't get nervous at all. This was down to one thing: The sound-check. We started just doing a simple jam just to get it all sorted, and the few people who'd turned up super early heard it and really digged what we were doing. Realising that people aren't out to get you and so on is a great confidence booster. People don't pay money to heckle (unless it's Busted concerts: Exception that proves the rule!), so just remember that. Do what you were booked or intend to do.

"If there is a problem with no solution, there's no point in worrying about it because there's nothing you can do about it. If there is a problem with a solution, there's no point in worrying about it because you know what to do."

10. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    This reminds me of a poem a read in a Dale Carnegie book and I have permanently written on the whiteboard in my office:

For every ailment under the sun
    there is a remedy or there is none.
    If there be one, try to find it.
    If there be none, never mind it. ;)

11. I get really nervous and shaky in front of people. But being on stage isn't as bad, because I can put the nervous part of my brain on pause and just play.

And it's always the worst on my nerves when I have to speak in front of a large group, but playing bass is different. After a couple of minutes, it goes away and I am fine.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm in the same boat odie. I'm freaked out about our first gig in a week.

Wear some cool looking clothes. That way, even if you sound like crap, you'll still look cool. That's my plan. :D

-Mike

13. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Never underestimate the power of looking cool. Half the battle in most situations is giving the appearance that you know what you're doing.
    I may not be a great technical bass player, but; I sure as hell look like I know what I am doing.
    Works for me at least.

14. CHILL YOU PARANOID FREAK AND JUST KICK IT WITH A TASTY GROOVE!
    :D

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    *slaps Odie across the face*

Are you back from la la land Odie? I can slap you again if you like?

*Slaps Odie again*

Sorry! I enjoyed the first one too much :)

Odie you've hit a bit of a raw nerve with me. I'm tired of working with guys who rehearse like mo-fo's, but fall apart on stage.

You're gonna have to start looking at gigs from a different perspective. The beauty of playing live is that if you hit a bum note, it's only a problem for a millisecond, then it's gone forever. Laugh it off and get on with enjoying the gig. It's amazing how much better you play when you're relaxed and enjoying yourself.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    PS:- Odie are you using your own PA? Did you end up buying those subs?

17. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thanx Pete-

Yes for some reason I have been more bussiness lately. I used to go out and have fun but lately I am just a ball of nerves. Hopefully I will revert back to my fun self.

PA- We have a sound man bringing his PA. We got those subs but we need to get an Amp for them. We tried putting the kick drum thru them with just a old really old cs400 bridged. Barely made a rumple audible over the kick drum!! So we will need some more power.

How much you thinking??It is 600 rms and 2000 peak if I remember correctly.

18. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I just have two things to say,

1. Improvise.

2. You are your own worst critic.

Relax, don't sweat it. Go out, have a good time, and play until your fingers bleed. You'll feel better......ok, maybe not your fingers. :)

19. Don't sweat it Od'.

Have fun and good luck:)

20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Man, I didn't realize Joe Dirtski's Dad saw Woodstock...

Odie, you hve taken good advice from me before, take some now.

1] Stage fright kills: put it off till you go up.

2] Stand back a bit and get in the groove.

3] Look out at the back wall when you need to.

4] Let your habits kick in ...

5] Step up and contribute, it is, after all, a show. So show.

Eat moderately before, don't booze too much to cure your anxiety and focus the adrenalin to your heart, then
    use your brain to relax that down to a groove.

The wankebirdhead NJL said the other day, 'I'm working
    on playing more relaxed' ... I think we all know what he
    means, at least all of us that have suffered stage fright.

I did a lot of public speaking as well, and for me, it's the same thing. But they don't know, stay on the one till you
    fly, and people will think you rock. Even the
    musicians cut you slack, because they know the drill.

So go for it.....