i am new to....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pnut311, Aug 19, 2001.

  1. Pnut311

    Pnut311 Guest

    Aug 3, 2000
    i am new to pedals with my bass, i was wondering, how or if there is a pedal the will stop feedback, like a volume pedal that like puts down the volume on ur bass....i know it sound stupid but i am new with my bass
  2. JMX

    JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

    Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hi and welcome to Talkbass!
    Sabine makes a unit that can suppress feedback by applying a notch filter to the feedback frequency.

    But I guess you need to have your pickups checked.
    Loose wiring in the pickup coils can cause the pickups to become microphonic which can cause feedback.
    Test: Tap your finger on the pickup(s). When you hear a loud amplified thud/kock from your amp that's most likely it.
    A cure is waxing. You can do it yourself but it's better to have a service tech do it.

    Here's a link to the G&L factory tour. G&L waxes all their pickups.

  3. Pnut311

    Pnut311 Guest

    Aug 3, 2000
    its not soo much the feed back, i was just wondering if there is a pedal that will like put down the volume on my bass when like i am not useing it
  4. Another good way to test for microphonic pups is to take a digital watch and make it beep while holding it over the pickups. The beep is amlified.

    Are you so sure that the microphonic issue is a trademark of bad pickups or bad wiring? I did the beep test on a £2500 PRS guitar, off the shelf, and it occurred on both pups.
  5. ImNotGeddyLee

    ImNotGeddyLee Guest

    Mar 13, 2001
    Providence RI
    do you just want a volume pedal... a lot of people sell them for relatively cheap. They are similiar looking to a wah but change the volume of your bass. Iuse a boss pedal tuner to mute my sound completely when im not playing... maybe that will help as well.
    What you should really do is find something to make it so you have no "feedback" or hum or anything whether your playing or not.
  6. uh, why don't you just turn down the volume on your bass?
  7. 6-stringer

    6-stringer Guest

    Feb 5, 2000
    What your asking for is a noise gate. It shuts the signal from your bass off when you are not playing it, and reduces any noise, hum. I think boss makes a compressor/gate that is decent. You can also use it to round out the tone of your bass.
  8. ASR

    ASR Guest

    Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    There are many times that I don't have a break between a part where I need to have a lot of volume and a part where I need to have very little volume. In those cases where you don't have time to reach down and adjust the volume, it is easier to have a pedal to adjust it. Also, if you are playing and have time to reach down and adjust the volume on your bass, you have to stick with that volume until you have time again to adjust it. With a pedal, you can adjust it at any time and work with it for a second until you get the right volume without stopping playing. Of course, another solution is a lighter touch/attack, but I still prefer to have a way to adjust my volume "on the fly."

    Now, to answer the original question, I use a Digitech multi-effects processor. It is originally made for guitar, but works well with bass also. It has a good volume control and a noise suppressor.