Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am not a singer.....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by silvermaneZ, Jan 26, 2003.

1. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Well, I had the opportunity tonight to prove to myself that I am not a singer. Did not mean for it to happen that way, but apparantly there is a big difference between the shower and the stage.

I had been talking to a band whose singer quit. I went over to the guitarist's house this past Sunday night, and we went through a whole bunch of tunes. He asked me to come out this Saturday night to a gig where they were using a temp singer. I was going to sing "Wicked Garden" by STP, "NIB" by Sabbath, and "Under the Bridge" by RHCP. Then there were three other tunes for the second set.

So, I go there. Wait my portion of the set, get up, struggle through the three songs, and sit down. I know even before the whole set was over that it sucked. The set ends, the rest of the band gets together for a talk, and then the guitarist comes over to me. " I thought it was ok, but the other guys don't want you to sing in the second set." Good thing I had already figured that one out.

So, I am going back to trying to practice my bass every day, and look for auditions here on the island.

(As a side note, I just went to take a drink, and spilled raspberry Crystal Light all over myself. I am going to bed.:( )

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That's harsh man. At least you weren't banking on being a singer or nothin right? Bass is better anyway! Keep workin your chops'!:D

3. Alyn

Alyn

Dec 19, 2002
    Everyone knows bassists and singers don't go together, you do one or the other, most good singers who play bass suck at bass and most good bassists who sing suck at singing.
    I know there's some acceptions to that rule but that's the general way it goes.

4. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I sing like a dying pig... but i don't care ........

5. Three words for ya....American...Idol...Auditions... Did you see them?

At least you have self-awareness and no ego. I'm in the same boat - I can't sing at all so I concentrate on playing bass. I don't even bother trying to sing in a rehearsal context because it'll be too irritating.

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :(

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Wrong. good bassplayers can chose to become singers, and if they are good, do both. Geddy Lee for example. i know you said their are acceptions, and he was probaly one of them. But i disagree.

As far as the singing part, ive played some very complicated stuff and sang at the same time, and didn't get any jeers. maybe they were just being nice;) But bass is my calling, and figure i'll stick to becoming the best i can at that before i worry about anything else. Just me.

8. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Yes Granny-san. I must let go of ego, and embrace my karmic scales.

AAAABBBBC#C#C#C#DDDDEEEEF#F#F#F#G#G#G#G#AAAA

:p
    Robert

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    What if youre like me and suck at both??:eek: :D :p

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I'm sorry but thats really funny ;)

on topic...I'd like to think I can sing...I can at least stay in tune more or less when I do sing, I'm 17 and I thought my voice had changed as much as it was going to but lately my throat has been hurting and my voice has not been feeling so good, I'm worried cause I liked my voice where it was at, if it changes anymore then I'm going to not be able to sing how I'd like to.

11. Join a punk rock band!

12. Hey now,

Punk ain't that bad. It's has it's own way of "singing".

Oi.

:D

-Anthony

13. I just tried to sing your karmic scale and damn near killed three innocent bystanders.

14. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    I do both, I was a singer first and went to the bass about 10 years ago. It was weird at first, now I love it, it really gives you the advantage when you are looking for a new band. Or, it would I guess, I have been in the same band for almost as long. Its pretty cool as long as you dont pick songs with super weird timing. Man does that screw you up. Or even worse, I am doing my best to sing my butt off, play bass, dance, entertain, and flirt at the same time, and then some woman on the dance floor has SUCH BAD TIMING that it actually screws YOU up. Or else it never fails, I am trying to do all this and be entertaining at the same time, (i hate watching people who have no expressions, eye contact, or are glued to the floor with their eyes locked on there guitar neck) and in the middle of singing, some IDIOT comes up and starts talking to you, WHILE YOUR SINGING!!!!. I just want to stop the song abruptly, take off my bass, take off the lead guitar players guitar, and hit them with it.

Mr. Pitiful

15. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I guess we have incompatible karma.;)

16. No...it's just that I can't sing. :D

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    whew, your telling ME, you should hear this guy in the shower! it's like a ........i mean,,,,,,,,Ive but HEARD that he sings in the shower....and uh.....his pet..... uh, cat? you got a cat huh? told me,,, he's a bad singer......

*runs out from under rabid granny's bed, leaving laptop with wireless internet to aviod further detection*

18. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    You know, that's how they caught Ted Kazinski - he left evidence behind.:D

Robert

19. Don't give up - PRACTICE!
    Your voice needs practice too. You can't just expect to get up there and do it. You have to learn how to use your voice, and how to use the mic, and get used to hearing yourself against all the other instruments. If you put the same amount of time practising your singing as you do your bass you'd be amazed at the improvement.

I started just on bass, then did some backing vocals when I could, and now (years later!) sing about 7 or 8 songs per gig. I love the challenge of singing and playing, particularly when the rhythm for the vocals and bass are different.

I'm not great at singing or playing, but I think I'm good enough and have had some good feedback........and I'm still practising........:bassist:

20. C'mon baby, don't be shy...polly was in the shower with me the entire time... :bag:

But seriously folks, I may give backing vocals a shot as a few of our songs sound better with occasional harmonization. I gotta break down the melody and bassline note for note (yeah, 8th note pulse!) to figure out how to "sing" it. :oops: