1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am not ALLOWED to order a Rickenbacker Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, May 4, 2010.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Wow! This is an odd one.

I placed an order for a new 4003FL last week and the dealer called me today to say my order can't be placed.

I called Rickenbacker and was told "RIC is currently not taking orders for 4003FL basses".

Cool. I figured, they are discontinued/out of production, right?

The answer? "Nope. They are still available, but we are just not taking orders for them".:confused:

Hmmm... I just bought a brand new 4003 Mapleglo fretted that I love and wanted to order a matching 4003FL Mapleglo and am willing to wait 12-24 months. But the answer is "no thanks" from RIC.

Can anyone shed some light on this strange situation? Even if a leadtime is 24 or 36 months (and this is articulated to the buyer up front), why would a manufacturer NOT accept an order for an expensive and in production product?

I guess I will spend my $1799 elsewhere.

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    They haven't been taking orders for lefties for a few years now, either. Fretted or fretless.

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    They are not making them. Just like a 5 string.

4. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    I can understand not making a 5'er or a lefty, I mean there is quite a lot of extra work that goes into those instruments.

But not making a fretless:eyebrow:

Surely it's easier if anything?

5. Baird6869

Still on their website and still a production instrument. Not a discontinued item or a "limited availability" or "not currently available", etc.

6. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    I also just read $1799 :eek:

Is that the RRP over there? When I get around to buying a RIC it would probably be cheaper to fly to the US, buy one and fly back, than it would be to buy one from a store here.

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You know how it is, with the economy booming and orders pouring in, they don't need your business.

[/confused sarcarsm]

8. Thankful birds

Thankful birds

Jun 17, 2008
    Phoenix
    These guys claim to be able to get left handed guitars, even from manufacturers who claim not to make them-

http://www.southpawguitars.com/bass.html

I'm not left-handed, so I don't know; but, you might have some luck with them.

9. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Yeah, well their web site is a little outdated. They do what they want to do when they want to. Nice way to run a business, if you can get away with it, and they can.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Odd... and that price seems low - I thought Ric had jacked their prices into the the near Lakland range...

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The word from Ric is basically, until the backlog is caught up, (which may never happen), lefties, and fretless models are under "suspension". I'm still waiting to see if they ever come back with another 5 string model, which also seems hopeless atm. Surprisingly, the 4004 is still on offer, though they don't seem to sell too many of those. And I had to wait 26 months for mine.

12. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i wanted a lakland skyline jb 5 in black- they won't be making black until late this year, early next year. unless it is a fully custom company, bass components are often made in batches, it's nothing personal.

13. They are Ric. You are not.

You lose.

Betcha the Fender custom shop won't give you that answer!

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I bet Fender Custom shop wouldn't even talk to you for $1799.00

15. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    26 months?!? I ain't waiting for anything that long.

If Ric doesn't want to sell you one Baird, they don't have too.

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    The trend for the last 15 years is fewer models and fewer options.

17. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    I'm waiting for the day where the only Ric you can get is a 4003 in Jetglo, and that's it.

18. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Buy used.

19. Baird6869

Absolutely agree with you.

And I would have no problem if the answer was "Sorry man, we are so backed up we have no idea when we will be making more fretless basses. We don't want to commit as it could take a few years longer than forever. Maybe we should take it off the website one day".

The attitude came across as I was obviously bothering them by calling their head office and asking a question.

They can do what they like, but if one of my customer facing reports acted in similar fashion, they would have a problem.

Not a big deal, just a suprise IMO....:)

20. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    ......and lower quality.....................