I am not happy with SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vlad335, Jun 19, 2003.

1. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I bought a SWR Goliath3 4-10 ($800 mailorder) about a year ago and have been steadily saving and buying quality gear to improve my tone. I now have a Warwick bass, Sansamp RBI, and Crown Ce-1000.

I thought the SWR was an upgrade because I used to use a crappy Crate 4-10 with horn. I guess it was... Never really happy with my sound so thats why I added the Warwick, RBI, and Crown Amp.

Last night at rehearsal I noticed an old Peavey 2-15 in another part of the basement so I hooked it up. Granted, this a cabinet from the 70's that was the drummers Dad's. Its about the size of a medium refridgerator with silver dust caps with one black dot in the center of the speakers.

I don't believe it! Thats THE SOUND I have been looking for! Nice powerful lows and the mids and highs sounded even and just right. It had a nice warm, edgy sound that just fit right in the pocket. AND IT WAS LOUD! I bought the cabinet fron the drummer for $100 on the spot.

How can an old dilapidated speaker cab sound better than a $800 top of the line SWR? The Goliath 3's lows stink in my opinion. I think my Crate had a little better bottom end. It will fart at medium volume and I always had to compress and be careful with the bass control. As for the mids and high clackity-clank, I was forever trying to EQ it out without squashing the tone too much. Just didn't ever sound natural. Turned the horn all the way down and that didn't help. It seems the horns only purpose is to amplify string noise and fret slap

Now to get rid of this POS. ( I will not put this up for sale here.) $800 down the drain:bawl:
  2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I sold mine on Ebay, just try and find someone in your area so you don't have to ship it.
  3. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Yeah shipping would be a problem. I think I will take it to a used music store in the area and see what they offer.
  4. :smug: Ain't it cool?
  5. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Actually, I'm kinda disappointed. To think I was saving to get a Son of Bertha... That would fix it. ( Yeah right) Probally would have no more lows and twice as loud clackity-clank highs.:mad:

Now I have to figure out how to haul this thing around.
  6. Yeah, but you found YOUR TONE for a $100. In a basement. It's old. And a Peavey.

That's totally cool! :cool:
  7. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You might open that cabinet up and see what kind of speakers are in there. Could be they've been changed out. Some JBL's have silver dust caps. I've got a late 70's Sunn 2x15 that I loaded with a pair of EVM 15-B's and it's a damn fine cabinet. Loud, smooth, and well defined right down to low B. Takes 1000 watts no problem.
  8. Maybe 10 inches didn't fit your definition of "low" I'm sure if you used a Big Ben(18inch) you'd be very happy;)

Congrats on the buy though!

9. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Thats a good idea. The cabs at the rehearsal space so I'll do this tommorrow. I have to check how many Ohm's it is anyways.

Probally has some pretty good speakers in there. I just wish the cabinet wasn't the size of a Yugo :D
  10. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA

I used to use a Carvin 18 and the soundmen hated it. They said I was blowing everyone away when I could just hear it.
  11. and thats a bad thing?;)
  12. how much do you want for your SWR? free? :D
  13. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA

I don't know. I'll see what the music store gives me for it. Maybe put it in the local paper. Shipping this thing is out of the question.
  14. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Take the money that you were saving up for the new cab and buy one of the new motor scooters and some rope and bam easy transportation. :)
  15. An SWR 4x10 and a Peavey 2x15 are about as far apart on the spectrum of bass sounds as you can get. You've been traveling in the wrong direction. I used a Sunn Sorato with 2x15 EV's for years and it was the loudest cab I ever played. I quit using it because it didn't do the low B string very well. Glad you found your sound.:bassist:
  16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Good to hear that you've found 'your' sound, but it's not SWR's fault that you ordered the 'wrong' cab from them. Such is the risk of buying mail-order. At least the Goliath is a popular cab and will fetch a good price used.

17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    See if you can get someone to trade for a better pre.

You may get more value in trade than resale.

Cabs are hard to unload.

Good luck!!!
  18. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Exactly!! I agree that is cool :cool:
  19. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I did the same thing. I swayed away from Ampeg and bought a goliath III thinking it was going to be the best. Well, I was wrong. SWR cabs are just too bright, IMO.

I am sorry Ampeg I will never leave you again.:D

Congrats on your Peavy. That is a good deal.
  20. XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    I had an old peavey 2x15 with BW speakers in it. Smooth like butter and the ultimate "P-Bass" tone live. I regret selling it but im just into a different sound now. Besides, my SUV barely held that thing!