1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I am now a Certified IKFF KettleBell Teacher!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lowendmafia, Apr 17, 2009.

1. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    I just went to Hell and back over the last couple of days in order to earn my IKFF KettleBell certification. For you fitness guys, this is one of the most demanding and elite training certification in the fitness community. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done, and I may not be able to sit down for a week, but it was totally worth it. :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    please come to atlanta and kick my butt into shape :(. i need help. lol.

congrats, dude.

3. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Go here, they train the way we train, make sure that you do not jump right into crossfit without taking a class first.

http://www.crossfitatlanta.com/

You will get jacked up for a few days, but you will get results faster than any other fitness program out there.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool, thanks :D

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    thats what Grimice gets for eating all that McDonalds. About time you got into shape.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

7. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    A little day after news:
    My whole body hurts in ways I have never experienced. My quads feel like someone hit them with baseball bats, my shoulders are about ready to fall off, my forearms are swollen, my hands are blistered and my core basically immobile. I am in really good shape and do tons of different types of exercise, from kettlebells and Olympic lifting to CrossFit and sport training and Mr. Steve Cotter absolutely destroyed me. If you do not know about KettleBells or are skeptical, let me tell you that they are legit and possibly the most effective fitness tool on the market.

8. My brother had a kettle bell video with a guy from the Russian special forces or something and it was hilarious! Aside from the unintentional humor, he was in amazing shape and it looks like a brutal workout.

9. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    It was probably Pavel, he does RKC which I have also done. He likes to say things like "My name is Pavel, I will make you strong" and calls everyone comrade. The one thing I don't really like about Russian or "hard style" is that you have to keep everything tight so it doesn't really flow like sport style.

10. Yes, Pavel! He also goes on a bit about sissy workouts and diets. He's got the uber macho thing going.:D

11. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Congrats!

Maybe you can peddle your services to the people who need to buy 2 airline seats.

12. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Congrats. Sounds like you're doing Crossfit as well?
    KB's are great. CF is great. Knowing what you're doing, with both... priceless.

13. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    I'll agree that they're legit and extremely effective.
    That said, your brain and body are the most effective fitness tool... if you use it to drive an intelligent, effective fitness practice.
    No one bit of gear is indispensible. Good yes. Undisputed best? Kind of like basses... :D
    Main point, though - congrats on going through a really hellacious and worthwhile cert.

14. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    That's probably my favorite workout "device" in the gym. Problem is, there's like 2 of them in the whole gym and I can't ever find the stupid things.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    So how often do people get hurt with kettlebells? A lot of the exercises look like the involve swinging them and old-fashioned moving under the weight- seems like it has a lot of potential for injury if you're a clutzy person.

16. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    I agree with you 100%. I do a lot of different training to meet the needs of the individual, and keeping their motivation and positivity up is crucial. I like bells because they are pretty cheap and you can really do them anywhere, but a lot of people use them incorrectly. CrossFit may be too extreme for certain populations, especially workouts like Fight Gone Bad and Fran, so it is about where you start them. It just makes me cringe when I see the bowflex treadclimber or the PowerBell on TV and they are making all these claims that they are incapable of backing up. I could walk on a treadmill for hours, but if my diet sucks, I will never lose weight, you know?

17. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    If you do it correctly, the chance of injury is very low because the movements are very natural body movements and you just sort of follow the bell. I guess if people have no clue what they are doing they could get hurt, but we make sure everyone is ready before they start on a KB program. It is like I said about "hard style" where you keep your body tight all the time, if you do it wrong you will be in trouble. Sport style is much more fluid and less dangerous.

18. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    You're preaching to the choir. I live in the Santa Cruz area and have been involved in CF for years, and have been gifted with a bunch of time with the Glassmans, trained with Annie, Nicole, Greg A and others... I'm not active in that circuit anymore, as I approach 50 I'm needing to learn to back down the intensity or I spend too much time recovering from injuries.
    Again - cool achievement!

19. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    Can I incorporate Kettlebells into my Recliner & Remote Routine?!?

:)

20. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Good for you man, my dad is 65 and I got him slinging bells and he loves it, not to mention it is great for his back. My boss is 63 and he is in incredible shape, but it is all about pacing and doing what you can. We even have some clients that are in their 70s and they do the bells, so as long as you are not doing too much and not injuring yourself, I say keep doing it. You will be happier and healthier and hopefully live a longer life.