I am now a part of the Bongo club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by UtBDan, Feb 20, 2006.

1. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Me and my bass!

Me and the band I played in, at my high school, with.. my bass.

I love my Bongo. Bovinehost's old one :)
  2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I am at a loss for words...
  3. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Pat, I'd like to by a vowel.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Eww get red paint away from bongoooo
  5. I understand you can get some cream that will clear that up...

Congrats on the new "aquisition", though.
  6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    this thread needs more shirts. :(
  7. jamescalvin

Jan 10, 2006
    Orange County
    I just went to a Bongo 5 string (exact same color). My only problem is adjusting. First off, this bass is extremely heavy but what's getting me is my playing isn't nearly as good as it was with my old bass, an old Ernie Ball (not a musicman), however, the sound of the Bongo is nice, it really pumps. My finger picking is good on that one, but my popping is better on my 4 string. Does anyone else have these same issues? Is it just a matter of practice practice practice?
  8. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    its not just it being a 5; its the humbucker placement if you have one of the two pup models. I had a little trouble at first. But it's still been less than a week and I've grown comfortable and popping is just as fine on it now.

Yeah, I'd say its practice practice practice.
  9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Welcome to the club. Enjoy that Bongo!

As for popping issues on a Bongo 5-string, it took me just a little while to get used to the string spacing, which isn't as narrow as my old Washburn Axxess'. The Bongo is the perfect bass for me.
  10. ParryPerson

ParryPerson Banned

Feb 16, 2006
    Shreveport Louisiana
    I just wanted to ask, how powerful would you say the high mids and low mids are on that thing?
  11. i actually really like your bongo, nice color combo.
  12. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Looking good, Dan. Glad to see the old beat-up thing found someone to love it.

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    sold your shirt for a bongo?
  14. ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005
    Just got my Bongo H. Now if ebmm would just fix the preamp in the Sting Ray so that it sounds as even as the Bongo. Sting Rays have a "quiet G", that Ernie Ball says "you either get used to or not". Great...put that on the bass before I buy it please.....Bongo is a whole nuther animal....nice even loud "g"....
  15. dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Welcome to the club my young brother. When I first got my bongo 4 I didn't really dig it. Fretting in the first postion was difficult. Now that I have had the nut filed and the action is nice and low, I get agrivated every night on stage when I have to put down the bongo for my Lakland.

I guess it's time to get a bongo 5, and a bongo 5 fretless,...and a bongo H 4. Then I'll never need the Lakland on the road, mwahahahahahahah!!!!!
  16. ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005

This is my second one. I also have an HH.:D
  17. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    Are these basses heavy as rule? Due to the wood (basswood) and the general physical size and shape I had these basses down (in my mind) as fairly light.
  18. ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005
    I play four string, and my sting rays were about 1 lb heaver than the Bongos.
  19. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    most powerful pickups in every way on any bass I've ever played (more than owned, PLAYED - I have a few GC trips in me. Now admittably I haven't played a Lakland or anything, but...

they're f'n powerful.)

Yeah, the Bongo isn't THAT heavy. It's about as heavy as any MM bass. It's just bigger than most, and it feels heavier because of it, for whatever reason.
  20. ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005
    Bongo HH vs H. Well, I must say, I like the H better. Huge tone, and a lot easier to slap. Have it set up with action slightly higher than the HH.