1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I am obsessed with my song???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Music_for_life, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010

It is a home recording...
    I want to get some advices from other players so I can improve for next song or for this one for the Album.

Sometimes I am happy while listening to the bass I recorded, sometimes I think I need to improve some parts, when I listen to it again I like it, and again no.... but all in all considering the recording tools and the lack of experience of recording our songs in a home studio we have I think we made a good job.

I am sick of the recording process. I enjoy it very much but being obsessive is the problem.

Any advices will be well apreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Bonafide

Bonafide Rodney Gene Junior Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin
    Artist for: Nick Silver Pickups, Free The Tone Effects, Carr Amplifiers, PG Music BIAB, Ethos OD +
    You guys have a done a great job... really great for a home studio production. Congrats.

My feedback on the bass... this is a recording. The bass should be played as clean as possible to fit the production. This tune is pretty slick overall but the bass has a great deal of 'clack' that is present (like a Rickenbacker) which is likley technique. Re-rcording the bass without the clack would help 'fit' the production much better. It has to do with tone as well...which brings us to tone.

Second is the bass tone itself. It is thinn-ish (high-endish/ bright) and wide sounding. The song feels like it wants more low mids/ low presence in the bass to support the fundamental of the song. That is what I hear.

Third... the bassline. This is a take it or leave type of line for me. Nothing too unique which also means nothing jumps out as wrong. That can be a plus. Or...perhaps there is more happening but I cannot hear it due to the tone? For reference I am listening on $3000 and $1000 pairs of monitors in a treated room. Soundcloud does have some bad artifacts though.

Overall the production value is excellent. The funny thing is, some of this song production sounds album ready...some of the song sounds like a well made demo...all within the same song. Great work overall either way.

Much respect,

3. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    Thanks a lot! great advices here, and respect for your coments, and kind words for our production.
    The original bass track was recorded with a heavy bottom and a tone that emphasised the lower notes, the problem was that some high notes where lost in the mix, due to the keyboard and the guitars that in the style need to be very present in the mix. Moreover the keyboard player who is the main composer of this song loves Steve Harris so he convinced me to EQ the bass with clank and without much compression. It was a way to mantain the bass line present without turning the keyboard or guitar down.

4. Bonafide

Bonafide Rodney Gene Junior Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin
    Artist for: Nick Silver Pickups, Free The Tone Effects, Carr Amplifiers, PG Music BIAB, Ethos OD +
    PM questions have been answered~ Cheers! :)

5. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." - Leonardo da Vinci

The track sounds more than excellent, IMO... I have no idea what is being sung, as my spanish is sub-par at best, but this is a fantastic song/recording... Really great stuff! Keep it up!!!