Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I AM PISSED OFF...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sippy, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I took my 70's p-bass into a reputable shop (so I thought) to have a new pot put in. I went there about 4 hours later to check up on it.. the guy was putting TELECASTER knobs on the pots (which he didn't even replace) and almost trashed the original pickups!!! I said so many four letter words they almost had to call the cops. So I demanded for him to put everything back together while I watched.. and I took my guitar and went home... Needless to say i'm finding out how to do it right now. I just thought you may want to have heard what almost happened to it... :scowl:

2. yeah dude, id say do things like that yourself, or oversee it at least. It's not too difficult to do things like that yourself, and if you know what you're doing, it will be exactly how you want it.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Seems like you're having a very tough time with this one...

...always make sure when you take an instrument like this into a shop to specify that you want ANY parts removed, no matter what the condition. Make sure you have good photos of all the parts, in case someone is going to strip the old parts for sale...and always check over the whole bass upon return. If you can find someone who works with you on a regular basis, then you might be able to trust them...

Otherwise, do as I do and go to someone that you can watch them do the work.

Has it been determined yet for real if this is a pickup problem or a bad wiring/pot problem?

Was the bass missing the knobs? I didn't remember that from your earlier posts.

4. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    the bass wasn't missing knobs!!! he thought the new knobs would LOOK better.. so he chose telecaster knobs! and HE said the pickups were bad.. I'm changing the pot and cap tomorrow though. SO we'll see.
    Here is the problem in detail
    Some amps won't even play the guitar.. it won't even play loudly at all.. a 1200watt amp had to be turned up half way to get a decent amount of sound... but my 15Watt amp plays this thing like a champ! so does my buddies 60watt amp.. thats one problem.. but the other problem is when I turn the tone up (more bass) it gets REALLY quiet) when I turn the tone down (less bass) it is fine (if it plays at all).. see it's great for me because It works on my home amp.. but sometimes when I go out to jam it doesn't work on their amps.

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Ok...that's what I thought, but once we were changing out knobs, I thought maybe there was more going on.

I can't come close to explaining what's going on with different amps...that makes no sense to me, but yes, definitely start with new pots and wiring...I believe that the stock capacitor is .047 in mine, but you shouldn't notice too much difference up or down a bit.

But most of all...keep all these yahoos from ridding you of valuble precision parts...Is this the same 'tech' (and I use that term VERY loosely) that told you the pickups were shot?

I really believe that if it does turn out to be the pickups, you should have them re-wound. My 73P sounds excellent with the stock pickups...

6. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    yea it's the same turkey that said my pickups are bad. Yea I really want to save this pickups.. but I don't know ANYBODY around here that will rewind them.. and I don't feel good sending these kinds of pickups out to just anybody. :(

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    My instructor has a hookup with the guy that works on Eric Claptons guitar, Black Sabbath's guitars and bass.. and actually worked on Jaco's bass a lot!... but he said it could take him months to work on mine.. and he never answers the phone so whent he guitar is done.. he'll call
    so I can never get an update.. as excited I am to maybe have this guy work on it.. I dunno.. it's kinda like leaving ur kid at school.. u know he's ok but u still worry ur ass off..

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Don't goof around with those pickups...call Lindy Fralin. Full credibility, no worries. It may cost you a few bucks, but it will be worth it, if you ever decide to sell the bass then you can advertise that the cooked pickups were rewound by Lindy and people know what that means.

He shoots straight, and if they don't need it, he won't do it. Last time I dealt with him, I called the phone number and talked to him directly in the shop. He didn't take CC's at that time so I had to send him a money order. He also didn't use email.

9. Congrats to hear that your axe is getting worked on. Lucky for me my tech is a guy my band knows quite well(we've played a bunch of gigs with them and are looking to play more gigs together/jam whenever). He defretted my bass for me. He took my 5 string on thursday at one of our gigs, I came in to check it out about 1pm yesterday, all was well, hung out for a bit and watched him work on it, left. And at our gig last night he gave me my now defretted bass. He usually doesn't go into the shop on fridays, and over the last week he's gotten many many guitars/basses in for specific things. I like being friends with my tech :)

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Lindy Fralin.. to tell you the truth guys.. this guitar is my baby I don't care how much it costs to fix her up. I just don't wnat to change anything. If I get my pickups rewound that won't change the sound dramatically?
    To tell you the truth guys.. I think the Pickups are fine.. it sounds SWEET in my amp and my buddies.. I'm 90% sure it's the pot.. any contact info for Lindy? Just in case I don't need the help :)

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Resurrection, right?

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Was Resurrection Guitars in Jensen the place you took it?

13. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    wow... you know Jensen BeacH? LOL... i'm kinda shocked right now but no.. it was Schumacher (sp) Music in Stuart... I heard Resurrection Guitars was a pretty decent joint tho.. But i'm done with small shops. Only Luthiers will be working on my baby ...

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I wouldn't trust Shumacher with my instruments. Jam Music either. Don't even bother with Treasure Music or whatever in Downtown. Nice toys...that's it. Terrible buisiness. Of all the local places to buy stuff, I'd say Shumacher are the best guys, but I wouldn't let them do any work on an instrument.

Anyway, Resurrection is a pretty good gig. They're a little more expensive than average, but they'll do you right. Nice guys; set aside a couple hours to give me a tour and answer inane questions when I wanted to build a bass, and was just getting into things.

I lived in Port St. Lucie for a couple years; I'm familar with the area.

15. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    oh man thats sweet!!! sad thing is ressurection closed down about 2 years ago :( .. Jam music SUCKS i'm kinda.. firends with the owners daughter.. I hate that whole family... Schumacher is all thats left :(

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...They did?

Weird, they updated their website in Novemeber? Sure it was 2 years? Of course, updating in Novemeber might as be yesterday in luthier land.

http://www.resurrectionguitars.com/

Give 'em a ring, I think they're still in buisiness, duder.

Chad at Jam ain't too bad of a guy, dealt with him a couple times and seemed okay (just getting cables). Dunno about the owners, though.

17. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    hmm yea about 2 years ago Ressurection Guitars had a huge "Going out of business sale" A buddy of mine picked up a Les Paul Standard for $300!!! a Gibson

edit:: the Resurrection i'm talking about was in PSL.. I guess there are two?

18. All of this is not cool!
    So, have you got news about your P?

Vince

19. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea it's sitting on my work bench right now, Getting ready for my to rewire it btw.. some jackhole machine an ALUMINUM PICKGUARD (very well mind you u cannot tell a difference) so it was grounding out the pots!! Once I took the pickguard off 3 wired popped right off.. this is insane.