1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am planning to mod a bass .. seeking advice from those who know more than I do on this..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I am planning to mod my KH 5.. I really like the bass and so I plan to keep it around a while.. I have been wanting to do this for a while to a bass.. I just was waiting for the right one ..

I am actually going to mod both of these basses.

IMG_2635_zps0fecf32d.

The one on the left I am gong to put a BassMods Pre in it and maybe do the pups down the line I will try to find something here..

The KH though I want to put in an Audere PZ and I am debating between the 3 band, the 3 band w mfs and the 4 band but leaning more toward the 4 band.
    For pups I am looking at the 76DL5C or the DL52CBJD3 for the MM pup and the J pup I am thinking of the 59J1 or the 59CBJD1 not quite sure about any of it though... I was also thinking of dong the bridge and tuners but I am not sure where I would go with that. I like that KSM bridge .. but it only goes to 18mm spacing so I may leave the bridge as it is for now and see if KSM comes up with something wider or just bite the bullet.

Based on what I stated .. what do some of you think about the J pups as far as which ones I should consider. I like a sound that s full and round on the bottom but also defined in the mids.. not too trebly.. That is one reason why I am going with the PZ Audere.. I can kind of tweak how the pups work from my understanding of it.. I would also like to put in a switch for the MM pup that will at least go from single to dual coil.. What would be the added benefit of using the quad coil MM pup? I am also considering the preamp and how it will work with the pups.

Any insight would be appreciated..