I am poor.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by artistanbul, May 15, 2003.

1. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Thats right. I do commission work and work as an art director but still poor is me. Which means I can't even afford that peavey minx110 amp which I thought would be good.

So what I mean is, would it be okay -for practice purposes- to use an interactive speaker colon with: no eq, lineinout, hundreds off watts, and cheapness. I dunno. I feel sorry and I am soo anxious to play the first bass I am gonna have 10 days later.

*bursts into tears"
  2. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Don't sweat it, man....you can play through anything that makes noise.

My first bass rig was an amp with no name on it (Having learned a bit since then, I think it was a Univox) with 3 of the 5 knobs on it being non-functional. The speaker was a piece of plywood with a Radio Shack 15" speaker mounted to it that I bought at a garage sale.

It really was just a single piece of plywood - it was not a box.

Never played with anyone else using this fine rig, just practiced in my bedroom, but it got me started
  3. Bjazz

May 14, 2003
    i am looking at building my own look at billsbest.com/thbasscab.html
  4. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    my first amp was a squire 30 watt guitar amp, was good for jamming with a guitarist with a similar fender amp

it was pretty cheap, 300 with a nice ibanez guitar so maybe 50-100 for the amp.
  5. you can get a crate bx-15 practice amp off ebay for DIRT CHEAP... i have one and i was gonna sell it but the 20 bucks id get for it just isnt worth it... i can always use a decent little practice amp to keep in the bathroom (yep thats right... i play on the can, if you say you dont you are really regular or a liar)
  6. I know it may not be the best sounding solution, but do you have speakers on your computer? I play through mine all the time, when I only need low levels, or am recording ideas. Also, you don't even really need speakers, just headphones. Run your pickup cord into the mic (or line in) slot on the back with a 1/4''-1/8'' plug (I always just call them "big to littles") and have at it. At most it should cost just a few dollars for the plugs. Then you can save up for whatever amp you desire.

7. i used to do the same thing in college when all i had was an electric guitar and a pocket rocket amp... used to plug the headphone output from that into my computer speakers and it worked out nicely
  8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hey man, dont sweat it. Youll be fine in the long run. Start a paper round or something. It might not be great work, but every paper you deliver is one step closer to that amp you've always wanted.

No one said being a bass player is easy, but if you stick with it, you will reap the rewads.
  9. Man, get a 15 watt peavy microbass. Its cheap and it will let you practice your little heart out. I have been using mine for about 4 years now and It still sounds great for a practice amp.
  10. I have a 10 watt samick combo I bought for 40 Euro(that's about 40$ I guess), anyway, probably payed to much for it even..and it works okay as practice amp, just search on ebay for the small squier, samick & crate combos...

I think it might be better to leave the rogues though, there's not much people liking them
  11. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    You don't need an amp for practice. I've played bass for over 10 years and still don't use amp when I practice. I even have to play quietly or the kids will wake up. :)

Dec 28, 2002
    yeah an to get a little more volume put the neck of the guitar on the wall ..i do it every now and agin when i dont want to drag over my practice amp and turn it on :)
  13. I bought that little Peavey Microbass ten years ago and I still use it for practice. Those things are built to last.
    I agree, use anything that makes noise, just find the right cable.
  14. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    ..sniff . *sob* okay.. thanks everybody.
    I feel better already...
  15. * gets kleenex*

this is your granny speaking, dearie

there, there, everything will be just fine. do you have a bathtub, angel? well grab your toy and get next to the tub, there you go, then. now get your little bass toy and put the headstock against the side of the tub, little one. that's it petal, now off you go, start playing. that's a good wee lad. and if if start to crying again, i'm gonna whack you upside your head until your ears bleed.
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    sheesh..... I used to play my first bass with the body pressed up against a wooden desk. The vibrations actually go through the desk and amplify it a bit.
  17. zoran

May 10, 2002
    Ehhh!! Look around for second hand, you can always find something affordable.
  18. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    For my first 6 months of playing, my first amp was a ghetto blaster with two 8's. It's that kind you get at the swap meet for $40 bucks (the same ones on the old rap videos). And at the same time in my first band in high school, the drummer also had the same kind of ghetto blaster, so voila`... my first bass stack!
    I thought I ruled! And the guitarist had a Peavy Rage.

Any audio equipment will work, you'll just need to adapt a cable and plug.

Dec 28, 2002