Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i am ready to be abused by you all...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ras1983, Jun 5, 2005.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i tried a MIA 4 string jazz through a roland 112 100w combo today at allans music in kew. in australia, these basses retail for $2799 AUS. My SX 4 string vintage jazz cost me $299 AUS from MelMusic. therefore, the fender costs 936% more.

here comes the controversial part...

IMO it was only worth about 100% more. :meh:

Fender must be kidding themeselves with their pricing, playability was slightly better than the SX, but $2400 extra??? :confused:

the pots felt of about the same quality as the SX, the neck was SLIGHTLY faster, but nothing some practice can overcome, and the tones were unbelievably similiar.

the fender WAS better than the SX, but not 936% better IMO!!! :mad:

No Way, not this one atleast.

Just goes to show that the SX's are truelly a fantastic bang for your buck proposition. ;)

IMO, i can't see why anyone would want to spend that much on a new fender. they make fantastic used buys, but i wouldn't purchase one new. i haven't played a ken smith or a sadowsky, alembic, spector,....... but i would either use the cash saved to upgrade the PU'ps on the SX, or i would save up and get one of the aforementioned 'boutiques'.

god bless. :D

2. Fenders are unbelievably overpriced in Australia for sure.

I played a Fender Jazz American Deluxe V FMT in Perth last year, and I thought it was pretty darn nice, but not for that kind of scratch....for that kind of money, I'll import a Lull or even a Sadowsky Metro.

But for now, since I'm not giggin' I can't justify anything like that, so I'll stick to my Carvin AC-40, my Yammy RBX-170 and my *gasp* Wishbass...I think they're all great (I have them set up just the way I like it).

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    good to see someone has the same views as myself.

4. IcoHolic

IcoHolic

Aug 31, 2004
    I couldn't even justify $1500 Canadian for a MIA Fender Jazz. I think people dig them because they're told to.

5. I'm not so sure about that. I dig Fender basses, myself. But I'll never own one at the prices they want. The knock-offs are just too good.

6. Man, the prices people pay for things astound me sometimes. I payed 1100 USD (you just have to wait for these things...) for my FMT Jazz. For that price, or any price really, this thing just rocks my world. It's so head and shoulders above the SX's I've played, and far above the MIM jazzes i've played, which have always seemed to be terribly inconsistent.

7. This may hurt- I paid $425 for a US Jazz 5(passive). I would pay $1,000+ for a sweet vintage J or P, but not brand-new.

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i should make it clear that this particular jazz was a passive one, with only the three pots (two pups and one tone). it probably isn't as big an issue in the states, since prices are FAR MORE reasonable than in australia. :D

and yeah, i would pay for a vintage jazz (once i am no longer a student) ;)

9. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    hate saying this, coz i like fenders, but you are paying 70% for the name "Fender"

10. Aussies are getting ripped off...we're still paying the same prices as when the exchange rate was 0.5, now its 0.76 and we're STILL paying those sorta bikkies....UNFAIR!

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Blame your Australian government for having high import taxes and duties. It's probably the reason they have to have Fenders at such high prices. The MIAs are already pretty expensive.

12. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    if i wanted one id go to music123.com or something like that.
    toy could get a MIA Jazz for a grand less than you would here

13. That's not exactly true...the problem is Fender and what they charge overseas reps....By comparison, Japanese instruments are on par with prices in America (once you convert the currency, of course).

14. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    just like any other company with such a worldwide reputation (like Gibson, Marshall) you're paying for the name. i can dig some Fenders but some of their gear is just too over priced.

15. bassmanwho

bassmanwho

Jul 3, 2004
    How's your SX bass slapped? I once owned a SX, loved its quality and low price, but the bad thing was it sounded like crap when slapped. only fingerstyle was acceptable.

16. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    its okay actually. i don't slap too much, and even then i only slap when i'm practicing. i never slap at church, i'm not good enough to do it in public yet.

the only major gripe i have is the "phantom notes" i get acove the 14th fret. has anyone else experienced this? there was a thread about this issue a while ago, but it was about a fender jazz and it was found to be the pups. the difference here is that i get the phantom notes even when the bass is unplugged. the phantom notes sound like two notes when you are tapping/plucking only one.

17. bassmanwho

bassmanwho

Jul 3, 2004
    Mine had same problem, too. That's why I sold it. I tried to get rid of the "phatom notes" by sanding the frets, trying to get them even, it did improve, however, but still, the problem remained, I just gave up tapping on the bass.

Now I'm considering buying a SX vintage, becuase it's cheap and I can carry it around and let my other basses stay at home...

18. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Amen to that. I think it's also partly to "help" local industry so they can make much more profit but only fly slightly "under the radar" so to speak as far as retail prices are concerned.

Take our Lab Systems amps / cabs for example. It's on the mid-high end of amps as far as the market is concerned, and probably the best Australian-made product you can buy. Let's look at the 410HLC and the 410HPX for example. They retail at AU$1595 and AU$2095 respectively.

In the US, it would be equivalent to a Goliath or a 410XLT as far as specs are concerned, but look at the price difference. Bear in mind that import duties and overseas shipping do not apply here because it's "australian made".

Pro Audio in Canberra offers their own line of cabinets and I would compare them to the Avatar line in the States. Still more expensive. AU$600 - 1000 for their cabinets, and they'd have ZILCH resale because everybody wants Ampeg or Eden. "Ahh...mate I wouldn't know...I've never quite heard of them, not like Ampeg or Eden."

For a bit more, I could get an ACME Low B4 and I don't even want to think of what I could get in the States with that kind of money.

Any other explanations, other than sheer profiteering and the different parties who want a slice of the pie?

P.S. I live in Western Australia, where they bump prices up EVEN further for "shipping". Hartke = Sh*t, and Behringer = thievery, so say many, but there isn't much else here that us semi-pros can afford. On the other hand, I did pick up my used SWR Stereo 800 for AU$300 which was a real song.

19. What i think is everything increases exponentially

Your wanting a bass twice as good as what you've got, then you'll have to pay 10 fold what you did etc etc

But aye, sounds overpriced up the shizna to me

20. I hear ya ;)

I'm in Melbourne too - and the price we've got to pay for gear is criminal IMHO.

;)

There are alot of good value options though - I've got two Warwick Rockbasses, a Streamer and a Corvette...I've also got a Yamaha BB404F, a Cort P-Bass, and an SX Fretless Jazz. All nice gear, and well priced.

;)