I am really desperate!!!!! I hope someone HELP me!!!I need it

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Now I'm going to show you my amp-odissey so far(I'll try to summ-up as best as I can with my poor english).
    1)I bought a "BRAND NEW" EBS cab 4x10 4ohm 1 month ago
    2)I bought a "BRAND NEW" EDEN Navigator(pre-owned;as-mint:I tested it very carefully before buying).
    3)I received an EDEN Wt1000 power-amp from Basscentral quite 3 weeks ago.
    Here's the problem:
    If I used the power amp in bridge mode(1000 watts @4 ohm)I got a terrible distortion,even at very low volumes.While,if I used it in MONO(450 watts @4ohm;A channel only),everithyng is OK.
    So here's what I did 3 weaks ago:
    1)I called to Eden,to see if they could understand where was the problem:the told me that it was in the power-amp.
    2)I called to Gard at bass-central:he said they had no responsability,because the power-amp had just arrived from Montrose(Eden);and after this they had immediately shipped it to me.
    3)there were no visible damages on the packaging and on the surfaces of the power-amp:so I didn't waste my time with UPS
    4)I called to Eden once again:we agreed to try to repair the power amp here in Italy,to avoid other shippings,shipping costs,other wastings of time
    5)I brought the power-amp to my tech guys:they looked at it,tested it,and then called to Eden once again:they all agreed it was all due to the preamp-section of the power-amplifier
    6)a new preamp-section for the WT1000 arrived yesterday from Eden:my tech-guy installed it.Everithyng seemed cool now.He tested it and was fine;we run all my rack(with the same cables,the same connections)to his SWR Goliath(8 ohm) 1:pERFECT,both in mono and bridge.
    7)I arrived home...DISTORTION in Bridge mode ON MY EBS!!!!!!!Me,CRAZY.....
    8)OK:then the problem is
    a)or in the EBS...
    (but why is it ok then in mono mode?If a speaker is bad,it is always bad....I mean: of course there are 550 watts more in bridge,but the distortion comes at very low-volume,while huge volumes in mono are ok;
    b)or in the power-amp, only if used in bridge mode with a 4 ohm cabinet only(because remember that everything was cool with an 8ohm SWR)
    9)So I went to the shop where I bought the EBS:I wanted to compare what was going to happen(distortion) on my EBS,with what would have happened with another one they have in store;I thought:"if mine ones will distorce,while the "in store" one won't,than I will have found the problem,and I will use my EBS Warranty"
    .......eh!!!!Do you know what:I tryed EVERITHING AS THE SAME(BRIDGE;MONO;Same cables,same connections,same settings,...),and NO DISTORTIONS,neither on the "in store EBS",neither on MINE ONE!!!!
    10)To-Night:reharsal...........DISTORTION AGAIN in BRIDGE with my Ebs!!!!!!!:mad:

For the once who have been able to read so far:
    HELP!!!!!GIVE ME AN IDEA!!!!!!
    .May be is the cable I use for connect the power amp to the cab(May be it is ok if I send 450 watts through this cable;while it isn't if I send 1000 watts through it?)???May be it is the cab?May be it is the amp?But,why is the amp always ok with the SWR cab?Why the EBS is ok in mono,and not in bridge?....and why EVERYTHING was perfect then,at the sore
    I'm desperate.
    Thank you for your patience.
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Wow. I think the cable is all you have left to check. Or maybe your electricity at home?
  3. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Thank you jondog,
    elctricity at home may be would have beem an idea....but distortion at reharsall,and at ny tech-guy workshop....
    ....cable..it also was fine at the shop today:but I'm going to buy a new one anyway....
  4. Are you using a Speakon cable? It may not be correctly wired for bridge mode. Simple.

5. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Yes I do.
    It was a banana-jack(that I used to bridge my old SWR Goliath3),now converted to banana-speakon.
  6. check the Eden manual and make sure you have it wired up correctly.
  7. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    I think I can't find anything about wirings on Eden manuals....
  8. shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    When the amp worked in stereo mode, that should have been a clue that the pre-amp wasn't the problem.

Go back to basics and look at the wiring as suggested above - get new cables and try it if you have to.
    Check that the cables are connected prperly to the Eden in Bridge mode (like I said - back to basics) and have someone else take an objective look at them
    Check for loose connections on the cabinets.
    Check the electical outlets that everything is plugged into - use the same one if possible - at least to test.

Good luck
  9. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
  10. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    Go death metal, and keep the natural distorion:D.
  11. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    :D :D :D
  12. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    I've one big reason to feel better,anyway:
    for what I've listened playing few times in mono...

13. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    a 4ohm cab cant take a 1000watt eden head man. to much power
  14. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    An 800 watts cab can't support 1000 watts,only if you use all the 1000 watts(full volume);while it can at lower,very lower volumes.
    This is what I think,and eveybody ( at Eden,at EBS,my tech-guy)told me,at least...
  15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
  16. It's true, you have to have exacty 800 watts going into the cab at all times. Otherwise........distortion.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

17. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    shows how much you no naurd :rolleyes:
  18. a) What the hell does cab impedence have to do with it?
    b)If the cab's rated at 800W, there's no problem connecting it to a 1000W amp. Even under hard usage, the average power from the amp will be well under 1000W. This would only be a problem if you could somehow make the amp put out an average of over 800W. This ain't likely to happen unless you're really pounding it. I expect the amp would thermal out before the speakers got damaged.

A few things. You've probably already checked them, but you never know...

1) Check to make sure the amp is switched into bridge mode. This sounds dumb, but if you use the bridged outputs without having the amp in bridge mode, it won't work right.

2) Make sure you are using the bridge mode outputs on the amp. There's a dedicated bridged output, right? It's between the left and right sets of banana plugs. There's no Speakon output for bridged mono so you have to use the bananas. You're using banana- speakon right? If that cable works for mono (one channel) it will work for bridge mode. Same for the cab. If it works and sounds good in mono mode It should work the same in bridge mode. From what you said so far, it sounds like a problem with the amp itself....

keep us posted....
    and good luck!
  19. "It's true, you have to have exacty 800 watts going into the cab at all times. Otherwise........distortion."

is it just an EBS thing? I go somewhat below the maximum with my SWR's all the time with no distortion at all.......enough to power the cab you know.

Just curious.......