I am SICK of Fender.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I am sick of Fender.

And their multitude of offerings
    The same damn basses with
    little differences here and there
    That don't amount to much

Do we really need 26 different version of the Jazz Bass?
    Or another 13 versions of the P Bass?
    What about all those signature models?
    I don't know about you, but
    They all sound the same to me.

The balance generally sucks
    The fit and finish is questionable
    You have to play a hundred to find a good one
    Then six months later you replace the pups and hardware

So give me a mighty StingRay
    Or custom order me a Roscoe
    If I want a Jazz, I'll save up for a Sad or a Lull
    If I want a P-bass, well, who wants one of those these days anyway?

OK, you can flame me to hell now.
  2. Flame me too. Ive had a ton of Fenders. Ill never buy another one.

But hey, if someone gets their dream tone from a Fender more power to em.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, I guess it's cheaper than therapy. Feel better?

I do have to say that I'm having trouble finding the rhyme or meter in your poem, though. :D
  4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Im very happy with my new american deluxe jazz, good construction, eletronics, pups and the shape of the neck is very goooood
  5. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    If I am not mistaken, Stringray was also designed by Leo Fender after leaving Fender. You can't win. Leo is everywhere in the bass world. G & L too!
  6. 3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    I've been playing for 10 years, and JUST recently got to buying my first jazz-style bass - a MIJ 62' model (RI). Prior to this bass, I played anything from Fernandes, Ibanez, Yamahas and even 2 Marleauxs. The jazz is easily accepted by most ears for pop gigs. For self-entertainment/'niche' tone i still have my Marleaux Consat Custom 4, and for extended range, a BBNE2 by Yamaha. Having said all that, my next goal is a 2EQ single H stingray :)
  7. I agree, but my feelings are far from that *all* Fenders suck.
    The re-issues I've tried have always been ace! But VERY expensive.
    The sig models are clearly worthy of their titles... Geddy Lee basses for example.
    I've yet to try a GL, however a CIJ Marcus Miller bass is the bess Jazz I've played.

There's a P-bass in my future. There's no doubt a fretless Jazz too!
    Of course, I'll have a Bongo or EBMM first. ;)
  8. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm sick of seeing all those options, finding a half-dozen I'm actually interested it, and then finding out those aren't offered in a lefty. Still, I'm really happy with the basses I have, so I'm not really looking anymore, though I'd gladly buy a lefty Geddy Lee even if I had to sell a kidney to pay for it;-)
  9. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Fenders give me GAS. especially the transparent orange and red ones.
  10. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    In my experiances all my Fenders have been excellent and all of a very high standard. Nothing to question them over at all.

I have four fenders

2 Mike Dirnt signatures - Yes although they are same model sound slightly different. Every bass sounds different so you cant say they sound the same

1 2002 P bass which is fine no problems
    1 2002 J bass which again is fine

If you dont like Fender fair enough thats your opinion:) . Of all of them I have played they have been excellent.
  11. FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    People love Fenders because they are like timeless classics. Sure there are more bass designs around today but people tend to go back to the familiar sound and feel of a Jazz or Precision.

But I do agree that Fender does go overboard with all the damn models and marketing gimmicks like the "60th anniversery" basses and stiff.
  12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    How dare they offer variety! How dare they have different models to fit the needs and tastes of different people! Those jerks, building all those different basses! All those different finishes, colors, tone varieties and price ranges are too confusing for us poor, ignorant bassists.

Thanks for adressing this issue. Without brave souls like you who are willing to hassle the man, we might forever be stuck with variety and choices from one of the worlds largest purveyors of stringed instruments. I hope that your rant, with it's rythmic poetic form, will one day shatter the foundation of the Fender bohemeth. You, sir, are one of the last few great American heros.
  13. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    There's nothing "the same" about the Stu Hamm or Roscoe Beck models.
  14. RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    Whoa dude you sound pretty angry.....you need a hug
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What sparked this outburst? Were you trying to buy one, and can't find "the one"?

16. toad

Jun 26, 2002
  17. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Rage against the machine !!

I have a Lull with a J-Retro. If you have a good 62 reissue jazz I'll swap you.

And I love a good P-Bass above all others.

So there.

18. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    :hyper: I heart Fenders :bag:

I just purchased a used 1990 American Standard Jazz 4 string from a local shop yesterday, in excellent condition for $449.

It is great to have a Fender Jazz back in the stable. :cool:
  19. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    poor fella. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.