Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am sick of that compressor light.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I am sick of it.

I have a peavey tnt, and I play a MIM Jazz Deluxe with active PUP's.

Now, I keep my EQ level, gain at half way, the volume on my bass is at full, the bass control on my bass is cranked, mids are in the middle, and highs are cranked.

I cannot turn up the amp to 1/4 of the way without it farting out all the time and sounding all distorted.

I need to play loud because for some reason God allowed the human race to invent drums.

What can I do so that I don't have to worry about the compressor, but do not lose volume?

2. Turn the bass knob down on your bass, set it flat (in the middle). Since your bass is active, having the bass on full is boosting the bass WAY too much. And the highs probably should be closer to flat, too, IMHO.

3. i have a peavey tko, and constantly have the same problem. keep the eq as flat as you can, and turn the gain down

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Number one, this is what is well known as the "smiley face" eq, or a scooped eq. Boost the lows and highs, cut the mids.

Which sounds great when your playing alone, but is pretty much worthless in a band setting, especially a loud band. You can't get much volume because you're boosting your lows so much. There isn't an amp made that can really crank out serious volume with this kind of eq-ing.

Number two, you really shouldn't crank the bass & treble knobs on a bass with active eq. You're boosting your lows (and highs) by 10db, which is a LOT. That alone will cause practically any amp to distort. (Well, boosting the lows will....boosting the highs is not nearly as much of a problem.) With a passive bass, the knobs go from about -10db to 0db.....in other words, the tone controls are cut only, so you can crank them all the way up without a problem. Not so with an active bass.

It would be better if you turned up your bass & treble knobs just a little, and cut the mid a little. BUT, you would still be using the "smiley face" eq, which is not the best for cutting through a loud drummer & guitarist.......what will help you a lot to be heard is midrange. Mids "cut through". It doesn't sound so great when you're playing alone, but it will help you a lot playing with the band.

The main thing to keep in mind with eq - whether it's for your bass, or for a PA - is that you want to use as little as possible. Heavily tweaked eq's are very hard on audio equipment.

But anyway....you also have to work within the limitations of your amp. It's not that big, so you're going to have to do a few things.....it sounds like you're wanting to get an SVT/8x10 sound (and volume) out of a Peavey combo, and that just is not gonna happen. Sorry.

SO........I would try this....set all your controls on the bass in the middle (flat). Set the controls on the amp flat as well. See if that gets you enough volume to get the job done. If it does, you can play with the eq and try to dial in a sound you're happier with, but you'll want to leave enough mids so you can be heard.