I am so depressed...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, May 23, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I am feeling pretty down. I like to wallow in my misery for a while, and it seems to help when I put on really depressing music. I put the Cure on, and then realized I don't have much depressing music anymore (cursed thieves...). Anybody got any suggestions for depressing albums/artists? I think I may be in a funk for a while.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Pink Floyd!

Wish you were here
    Obscured by Clouds

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Try Stabbing Westward. They're a decent-at-best dark alternative band... not too similar to the Cure, but not altogether bad. Their lead singer sounds like he wants to kill himself onstage. In my humble opinion, the best of their three albums that I'm aware of is "Wither, Blister, Burn and Peel" (that title alone should be fairl indicative). Have fun, and get yourself out of that funk. Or learn to play funk.
  4. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Try some Zaraza : http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/6/zaraza.html , "Every day is a funeral" is a good song to start with.

Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine - The death of music, is good aswell.

Maybe some Burzum - Det som engang var.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hüsker Dü's "Candy Apple Grey" is pretty depressing, particlularly the song "Too Far Down".
  6. Psychedelic furs (Talk talk talk and Forever now albums)
    Siouxsie & the banshees (Robert Smith played guitar with them for a bit)
    Joy Division
    Gary Numan
    Tears for fears (The Hurting album)
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Sigur Ros can be both hauntingly sad and very uplifting on their albums.

Radiohead has some pretty sad tunes-mostly on OK Computer and Kid A

Morrisey (and the Smiths) is the king of self-induced depression. And while it's on the more industrial side, Nine Inch Nails has some very depressing stuff, mostly on The Downward Spiral.

And +3 on Portishead. Great band and very lonely.
  10. If I am sad I put in Jeff Buckley's Grace and then follow it up by Poe. All the while I am disassembling a bass and cleaning it. Works every time.
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Opeth - Damnation

State-of-the-art melancholy.
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    David Sylvian's stuff is very moody! He always has great players like Mick Karn & Trey Gunn too:bassist:
  13. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Alice Donut.

They range from darkly moody ambient to disturbingly angry rock. With an occasional trombone.

Personal favorite albums are 'Mule' and 'Bucketfulls of Sickness and Horror in an Otherwise Meaningless Life', but it's ALL good, baby!

14. I forgot Public Image Limited- Metal Box album.
    this is very heavy going.
  15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

For sad, listen to dirges and funeral music.

(Just a personal comment. I don't think listening to sad music is therapeutic when one is sad because it can cause one to just feel sadder. It can even cause a session of wallowing in self-pity. That isn't helpful. Happy, light hearted music like reggae might be the better way to go.)

Anyway, I hope whatever is making you sad will soon resolve itself and that you soon will feel better.
  16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If you do really feel sad music will help you now, consider Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's "Requiem Mass." Now that is some really sad and sorrowful music.
  17. Just about anything by Arvo Pärt - "Miserere" is a good one, or "Bright Sorrow" by Giya Kinchali. It's classical (contemporary), but still... I put some on when I'm feeling down, then I hear it and think "Wow, that's way sadder than I'll ever be!" and I feel better.

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, if you saw my thread in OT about my kitties I had to give away during my move, you would know why I am not a happy camper. But I just scored some Bob Marley and John Coltrane, so I will be alright.
  19. i tend to like to listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers - Tear, or Venice Queen.
  20. mooseman

Jul 24, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    another vote for Jeff Buckley's Grace