Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am so Happy. How does the song go again?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, May 12, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well We just bought a house our first house on May 4th. Then on May 11th(monday) we found out my wifes postition was being eliminated. She worked M-Fri "banker hours" and salary instead of hourly. I work crazy hospital shifts(days, nights, weekends)and low on the pay scale.

We were so stressed that we couldnt even unpack our things after our move over the weekend. Our new home just didnt seem as bright.

She could find a job with her employer(hospitial) but it meant worse hours and less pay. It also meant that we didnt know how we were going to make our bill payments, along with me having to stop gigging. That would have meant I would work everyother weekend(I would have switch shifts and give up every fourth weekend shifts) and she would work my opposite. So we wouldnt see each other on weekends except in passing.

To make a long story short: no gigs, no family time on the weekend, having to find childcare that could cover when we both work evenings and the thought is scary and sad, and less money and alot more stress.

Well we were to find out today were she was going to be assigned, but before she could find out.....We got a phone call.

A month ago she applied for a new job. Better pay, better hours, 300+ applicants :eek: . They have been interviewing since the beginning of Feburary.

Well they offered her the position and she jumped all over it.

So I get to gig, we have a better money cushion(10k a year), no childcare nightmares. Now we can enjoy our new home.

Talk about stress!!! :( But now we are all smiling and I feel like I won a lottery. Thanx for letting me share :) :p :D :bassist:

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Awesome Odie! Congrats on the house, and Mrs. new job!

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hooray! I'm currently looking for a job, too, and your post has been a little ray of sunshine. Awesome, dude!

4. Congrats, glad all is well!!

I understand the stress part... I am between jobs myself, but excited to do something new for a living.

Enjoy your home and family :) :cool: .

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Woohoo! Brothers in unemployment!

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Move to Minnesota. You can play inthe Twin Cities, hang with Prince and the big plus is I can play guitar!! :D

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Glad to hear it worked out! I like to hear stories of good things happening to good people.

Now, go unpack those boxes ;)

8. I'm really glad and happy for you and your family, not only is it a load off your shoulders, but it's something to be really happy about.

My Girlfriend has been out of a job since August. Aside from the obvious money and insurance issues she has not been getting callbacks from the applications she's been sending out and it really is getting to her.

Good Luck!

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Will he make me convert to Jehovah's Witness?

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

he might try unless he thinks your cute then he might want to wait awhile. JOKING Prince fans!!!

11. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Congrats, Mr and Mrs Odie. Glad things are working out. :cool:

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If he came to my door, I would allow him to witness to me provided he and I could jam sometime.