1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I AM SO UPSET!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by conte2music, Apr 23, 2006.

1. The local performing arts center called me because they had a road show coming in and they needed to rent a bass. I agreed assuming that a professional bassist that does this all the time would be respectful of someone elses bass...well I was sure wrong. The tap dancer Savion Glover was performing and was backed by a trio. I couldn't stay for the show because I had a gig of my own. The next day when I went to pick it up, the back was scratched to hell from his belt buckle because he took the bib off...I guess it wasn't cool enough. The front also had a six inch crack in the face spouting from the bass side f hole downward. Also...there are fingernail marks all over the heel and shoulders.

I am so upset. I know the crack happened from impact because the building has humidity control and it stays right under 50%. WOW...I'm just speechless. :mad:

Chris

2. wow man, that really its terrible. that place or the bass player BETTER being paying for repairs or a new one of something. It just suck though because even if they do help fix the problems or whaetever, it wont be that bass you had vefore that jerk ruined your bass.

i'm really sorry to hear that man, hope your problem get fixed soon.

3. chicabass

chicabass

Mar 18, 2006
    NOT USA
    Just tell me dude, you're not planning on doing that again... ?

Ugh. You haven't stolen it, you might not have raped it, but you certainly make me feel like I've been kicked in the butt and then expected to be graceful about the whole affair.

Lick your wounds and know better?

chica/k

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I believe I'd be talking to someone about compensation for the repairs...and I wouldn't take NO for an answer.

5. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I would think something would be in writing ahead of time, and I would photo-document the condition of the bass before it went out.

Only then would I even consider letting it leave my sight.

6. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Sorry to hear about this.. well at the very least those guys should surely be able to afford to compensate you for the damage. But you are justifiably distraught by the situation. Good luck finding out who did what and getting them to admit it.

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I would be pissed as well..:crying:

8. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    1. Get an estimate from your luthier.

2. Present this to whomever you dealt with- including the cost of renting an instrument while yours is being repaired

3. If you don't get a promise to pay then and there, see a lawyer.

9. Yesterday I met with the guy that I rented the instrument to...He was running sound for the big band I subbed for. We took some really good pictures of all the marks and crack and he is going to show them to his boss. I do a lot of playing for the local symphony that plays in that house, and a few of the same people take care of the incoming road shows and the orchestra....so they'll take care of me or lose me for the orchestra.

I'm mostly just amazed at how rude the bass player was. I found out last night that he was also banging on the shoulders like they were a set of bongos, and he took my bib off and wore it around his neck trying to be funny while he scratched the hell out of the back with his belt buckle. And the amazing part is that he's in his 60's. Not that it's okay to be young and do stupid stuff, but you'd think that a professional player of his age would be a little more respectful. I didn't mention this earlier, but this isn't just a kay or anything like that. It's a 1905 German 7/8 round back. I just had it appraised for $13,000.

Chris

10. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    After he pays for the damage, I'd also kick his ****ing ass.

11. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I think that goes without saying. And next time they can rent a ****ing Cremona ;-)

12. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Chris, I am so sorry on your behalf that your kind heart was ripped to shreads by thugs.

I sure hope it never happens to you again.

13. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    I think you should post his name here. You can't be sued for telling the truth. You can post the name of the trio and its leader.

14. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    Thinking further on this, I take the view that the arts center was the agent, and as such, equally financially liable. They called you, they asked you for the bass. The arts center and any of their employees should be on the hook. They can go after the pr!ck who damaged your bass.
    I would investigate Small Claims Court. In NJ, you can file your own claim and be your own lawyer on claims up to $2,000. You start by suing the PAC. You flush the name of the bassist and do the same thing to him.

15. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Savion Glover is an international artist (and his show is good.. despite the current misgivings here) so it should be a piece of cake to get all the information you need to work with.

16. pjwolf

pjwolf

Feb 20, 2006
    Ventura, Ca.
    Conte....why were you being so nice? I learned the same lesson years ago - I loaned my brand new instrument to a friend for a night...got it back with cigarette ash burn marks on it!!! no longer a friend...the way I look at it now is: a musicians instruments are his livelihood; watching someone jam on it in your presence is another matter.

17. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, man. Have the bass completely restored and make them pay. I can't believe that.. Good luck

18. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Late last year another bass player asked to borrow my DB to use on a film shoot - he was to be the bass player in an on-screen band. I thought about it, but in the end refused - I knew that he didn't have the money to personally pay for any repairs, and I was not confident that the production had adequate insurance to cover me. And with all the people and equipment milling around a film set the risk of damage is pretty great.

Reading your story has reinforced my decision...I'm sorry your experience turned out so poorly for you, and I hope you can get adequate compensation...good luck.

19. dchan

dchan

Nov 19, 2005
    Bethlehem, PA
    I'm here to give my regards to your situation.

But, I'm also here to say never rent out your $13,000 instrument to someone you don't personally know.

Rent out a cheap plywood. If playable, it would do fine in a one night stand. Or if you don't have one, politely decline the offer for rental.

20. If you wanna get in the bass rental biz, get an old laminate, make it look nice....then make the renters sign that they'll pay whatever it takes to have your luthier fix it up like it was before it left your house.