I am stoopid...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Sep 19, 2005.

1. To this day I cannot tell exactly if a neck is really warped :rollno:

Please if someone has photos of warped necks puet em for us ignorants...

I do have a suspicion my MIA Jazz is not awright... at the 1st fret to be exact...

The action is supposed to be a little higher at the 12th than at the 1st right? How much?

2. at the first fret?

on every string?

if its on every string, I wouldnt think its warped, but maybe needs a truss rod adjustment?
  3. All I know is the strings are very close to the neck but I don't really know if it's the action.

I never dare touch the truss rod so i might have to take it to the luthier, perhaps...?

Well it needs a couple of minor parts anyway...
  4. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yes, it is supposed to be higher, by a few 32nds of an inch. Google "bass setup" for exact numbers.

General method:

Hold down the string on the first fret and the last fret, and check to see how much relief there is at the fret halfway in between (having a capo helps here, because this really takes three hands).

It should be about the thickness of a business card...i.e. more than a sheet of paper, less than a sheet of shirt cardboard.

This indicates proper relief. Then you adjust the bridge saddle height to give you the action you prefer...usually as low as possible without buzzing.

If, after you've done this, you still have a problem then you either need a fret leveling or a neck tilt adjustment.
  5. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Good post. I usually mess with the bridge first to adjust the string height. If that fails, I adjust the truss road. I personally like a straighter neck, but a lot of people like a slight bow.
  6. + 1 !