Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am the biggest Newbie... PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ace123, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Ok, this may sound ridiculous to some of you, but i don't understand how to record. Our band just purchased a Tascam 414 4-track tape recorder. (It has four mic inputs, and a mixer) Now, i understand how to record myself onto the tape, then have my guitarist dub over my track with his guitar. HOWEVER, when our band wants to create a whole song, how do we come about this? Do we set up one microphone and record us all playing live, then have each person go over their parts on the recorder afterwards?! and if so, how do we get out the old "live" sounds and just have our new parts that we just recorded on the tape?! I guess what i don't get is how to get the drummer on the recorder. Does he just recorder himself drumming to nothing?! I DON'T GET IT! or do we lay down the bass, guitar, and rhytm guitarist down first, then have the drummer drum to that while he's listening to the playback on the headphones? If so, that seems weird to have the RYTHM of the song put on last, because when i'm dubbing over my part, i want to have the rythm to help me keep the beat. But if the drummer records first, then how does he know when to go to the chorus/fill/bridge when he's not listening to the music of the song!? Please help me, i feel like such a newbie. Please tell me EXACTLY HOW EVERYONE RECORDS, because we don't want to record live, and we want each part on a different track. PLEASE HELP ME. I FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT!!

Thanks in Advance

2. Okies how to do it as a whole at rehearsal...

My band did it this way on our 4 track. It didnt sound very good though.

We used about 5 mics. Its all we could get our hands on as we decided to record whilst at rehearsal. We had a mic hanging from the ceiling above the drummer, we shifted it around a bit, ended up being in front of the drummer up above. We miced up the kick drum, my bass and the guitar. My Guitarist then sang.

We went into a mixing desk and set a general level. What made it hard was soundchecking it whilst the other two were playing in the room. We then came Left and Right out of the mixing desk into two tracks on the 4 track.

If you want to do it more on a individual basis, mic up the drums completely, and go into a mixer. have the guitarist play the songs but set it up so the drummer hears it on headphones... aka no amplification in the room or the mics on the drums will pick it up. Come out of your mixer to the 4 track so you'll have a stereo image of the recorded drums.

You can then play the tape back and overdub your guitars on a track, then the vocals. ;)

We tried it that way and we still found that its the whole "going to tape" sound. We have upgraded to a computer with Cubasis VST (hmm i disagree with how my guitarist uses it... he has no idea).

Depends on what quality you want. A computer setup and a good mixer will give u a good sound, my guitarist just cant use it properly so now we're going into the studio... :spit: waste my money lol

I hope this gives a grounding to ask more questions and people can correct me with the way they did it. ;)

:D:D

Merls

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Here is your solution. This is what we did when I had an old 4 tracker..and even with my 16 tracker some. I would mic the drums and send in a line for each person in the band direct, or even just a guitarist. The drummer and the guitarist would wear headphones so they could hear themselves. Then I would go nd redover hte other tracks that were used to guide the drummer along.

4. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Hey both of you, thanks a lot. I think you've helped me to solve the drummer problem, however, I have another question too. When my guitarist and i were recording ourselves, we both plugged into the recorder and he got the headphones, so i couldn't hear what i was playing as it went into the recorder. Is there some way to buy some kind of unit which has multiple headphone signals or are we doing this the wrong way. He said "well i need to hear the bass" but then i couldnt even hear myself play because it was plugged into the recorder. Should we instead set up a mic to record the bass from my amp, and then have him use the headphones as he plugs directly into the recorder, and if so i still can't hear him very well. AH what should we do? I'm sorry for being a nussiance, i am very new to the recording scene but thanks in advance.

5. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    You can buy a headphone amp..which will give you pultiple signals. Check out musicians friend our zzounds.com . shhs...or the fheap way is they have a headphone splitter thingy at Radio Shack for like $7..but it is junky.