I am the Destroyer of Amps and the Devourer of Worlds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Only, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I have taken out FOUR amps this week. I am not sure how this is possible. It's not my house wiring, since the Fender was at Tim's house, and the Peavey combo at Sean's house when they blew up.

Tuesday: Fender Bassman 400 blows both speakers. I didn't even have the volume up to 5, and no clip lights were on.

Good thing I've got four backups!

Wednesday: Get my Peavey Mark 3 head set up, plug in, play for 10 seconds, and the inputs go dead, then make horrible buzzing and squealing noises.

Well, that sucks, but I've still got three amps, I'm good!

Thursday: Old Peavey 1x15 combo. Amp develops a short somewhere inside. Keeps blowing fuses.

Man. This is not good.

Friday: Bass Pod (borrowed) and a generic power amp. Play for maybe half an hour, and the amp begins to make this horrible high-pitched squealing, both clip lights come on, the volume knobs stop working, and that's done.

Now, I've still got a Peavey Databass. I also have practice tomorrow evening. Should I risk this amp this week or is all this a sign that practice should be cancelled? I ask you for guidance, Internet!
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Hmm you are the worst luck with amps in the world. Sucks to be you. Sell all your gear and quit.
  3. I bow to the allmighty DESTROYER OF AMPS! :bag:
  4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Are you sure it's not the bass doing something? Are your cables OK? :meh:
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    that was my first thought... check anything that has been plugged into all 4 amps.
  6. Let me guess, you want to borrow my amps. NOT!!! :D
  7. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    It's been three different basses, and two different cables and a wireless unit, so there's been no constant here that I can see. :meh:
  8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Plus you were using some combos; I don't think the instrument cable can cause that much damage that fast.
  9. bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    a few years ago, i traded in my Mesa 400+ for an SWR SM500...
    it blew up

so I returned it for another..
    it blew up

so i returned it for an SWR750
    it caught on fire, sank into the swamp, then blew up

that's when I started playing AMPEG
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Stay at least 300 feet away from my amps please.
  11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Be cautious, and do some testing at home prior to your rehearsal. Do the basses you've been playing have active electronics, or really high-output passive pickups? Are your rehearsals really loud?

I feel your pain, I've had some amp problems myself.
  12. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Cautiously testing the amps at home is what took out my Mark 3 and generic poweramp. Those poor guys never made it out the front door.

The basses that have been involved here are an Ibanez BTB1000, a Fender MIM P-bass, and a passive Aria Pro 2 something or other.

Rehearsals are not that loud. They're quiet enough that I don't wear earplugs, and my ears don't ring afterwards.
  13. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    A friend of mine frequently blows up amps (3 in a year was his record) by cranking the gain on the pre section and keeping his master volume really low. He went through 4 or 5 amps before I helped cure him of the habit. Is it possible this is your problem? I gotta say, I am IMPRESSED, O Mighty Destroyer of Amps !!

And oh yeah, he hasn't been able to blow up an Ampeg B2 yet :bassist:
  14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Then cancel your rehearsal and don't play through your amp until you can take it and your basses to the most knowledgeable tech in your area and get his/her opinions. That's about all I can offer.

Best of luck,
  15. Stop wearing silk panties. The electrostatic discharge is harmful to electronic circuits.

Actually, the above is a true story. When I was an engineer with IBM, we got called in for a customer (female) who was destroying every IBM PC should touched. We actually witnessed her touching a computer and killing it.

We determined ESD as the cause of the problem. It was just a hunch, so we found it somewhat difficult asking her about wearing silk underwear. As it turned out, she wore 100% silk lingerie, which was the source of the ESD damage.
  16. Time to take up the flute I think.
  17. I recon you should go and try out some amps in a shop :D
  18. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Its a good thing this guy is on the other side of the country. :D
  19. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You! You Are The ONE!!