Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am the enemy.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brendan, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    To all of those who live in BellSouth's coverage areas, including FL, GA, SC, NC, MS, TX, and a few other states...

I am soooo sorry. But y'know, I need money too.

I am... a telemarketer.

I started today, and your showers and dinners will not be safe from now on. You have been warned.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Dude....I pray that I get you on the phone. I haven't had a challenge from a telemarketer in a long time.

Nothing like fresh meat. :D

3. Hey i would appreciate a call Brendan. I can give you my # if you want :p

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You know, I used to like you.

But now you are one of the enemy.

You dont understand how I hate those people that cant even pronounce the name of my father corectly.

You know how anoying it is to hear some one mis-pronounce the name "Manuel Espinosa" 50 times a day is?!

I will ask you to wait, will respond in spanish, ask you millions of anoying questions, or worst of all, I WILL ASK TO SPEAK TO YOUR BOSS!!!!

Ok, maybe not, but go ahead and drop me a line sometime. Im not too far.

Peace
    Nick

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Brenden you can call me just for kicks... we can carry on a conversation so it looks like you are doing your job but really can talk about basses :D

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    5 better words: "Can you hold a minute?" & leave him on infinite hold. :) They don't call me anymore. :D

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Cool, do you do area code 903? I'm the guy who yells ALOT:D Bring it on, I'm always up to a challenge. I just ran off a solicitor today...

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, now that you're the enemy, your only chance to redeem yourself is to destroy it from the inside out. What is the absolute best way to keep you guys from calling back? I don't do the yelling or tormenting thing; half the telemarketers I get are old women and I just feel sorry for them because I know they need the money, so I'm hoping there is a passive approach.

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    sweet! Calling all around me, but I'm not in there! Hooray for living in Alabama!! They probably don't expect us to even have telephones or something! If you do start calling AL, I may go along with it for a few minutes. You know...get your hopes up, but then I'll be hanging up. :D

10. hogani

hogani

Jul 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Esteemed colleagues,

Know your rights. Take no shine.

Under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, telemarketers by law have to abide by certain rules.

They have to provide you surprisingly vast information (name phone number, etc., ), documentation and, of course, subscribe to your "do not call" request.

If they do not, or if they call you again, you can sue them. Sweet Justice. This is happening more frequently, and consumers are winning.

The attached link provides a script you can use in dealing with telemarketers - it is brutal:

http://www.junkbusters.com/script.html#top_of_page

Also, you can download off the web an MP3 called errorbeeps1.wav. This is the tone you get when you get a wrong number - doo - Doo - DOO. If you put the first two tones on your answering machine (or all three if you like), this will cause the autodialers used by telemarketers to skip your number. Also, this will feedback to the telemarketing database and get your number out of the call pool.

Fight the power!

wmh

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    No offense brenden. but you probably won't have that job for long.. my brother did the same thing for about 3 weeks his freshman year of college.. he hated it..

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Im far far away so I still love you and forgive you ;)

13. you're more dead to me than your dead mother.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I feel sorry for you actually! You're going to get so many death threats, etc. Good luck dude, you're gonna need it! :eek:

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just for clarification, Dave, I'm selling phones.

This is only untill the 20th or so. Need money. Fast.

16. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Brendan, when I first saw the heading "I am the enemy" my first thought was, " so what else is new?";)

Seriously, good luck and have fun.

17. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Bring it, Brend, bring it.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I won't be calling you. I don't think I called to FL once in the bazillion amount of calls I took yesterday.

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    before anyone goes getting sue happy when they recall you after you tell them to put you on the do not call list.

remember it can take up to 90 days before your name is completly removed from all callings lists.

I used to work for one of the more reputable telemarketing companies that would honor the requests, so thats how I know this. FYI they also by law have to state their name and company within the 1st 20 seconds of the call, if they refuse to tell you who they are when you say, he or she isnt here, then they broke the law. At least florida law.....so bren when you call me remember that. ;)