I am thinking of changing my Ashdown ABM EVOll for a Ampeg BA/666115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ejazzb, Oct 15, 2011.

1. ejazzb

ejazzb

Oct 10, 2011
    Oxfordshire U.K
    Any thoughts on this:bassist:

2. ejazzb

ejazzb

Oct 10, 2011
    Oxfordshire U.K
    Sorry.. Ampeg BA 600/115

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Lateral move at best. The Ampeg will not support an ext cab, and that's where the volume comes from.

4. Jungy

Jungy

Jun 9, 2011
    Oz
    I wouldn't. What are your reasons for wanting to change? Are you not happy with the Ashdown?

5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    have you gone daft?

6. ejazzb

ejazzb

Oct 10, 2011
    Oxfordshire U.K
    Running ABM EVOll 500 through the 4x8 & 1x15 mini cabs, not getting the volume I thought I would indoor is okay but outdoor does not carry, the venue was only small so should not have needed to DI out!

7. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    Are you unhappy with the tone or is it purely an issue of volume?

8. ejazzb

ejazzb

Oct 10, 2011
    Oxfordshire U.K
    Just the volume really, would you suggest just changing the cabs? as ashdown don't make them anymore, is there a reason for this I wonder

9. If you are otherwise happy with the sound of the amp, change your cabs. That head should have gobfuls of power and volume, even against the loudest drummer and a volume mad guitarist I never needed to push the volume past 12 o'clock, and that's without PA support.

edit: I should mention which cabs I used. Depending on whether the van was working or not, I used either an ABM 4x10 or ABM 8x10. As long as you are getting the full whack of the 4ohms you should not have any volume issues whatsoever.

10. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    GK Fusion 550 & 2 x Neo 212 II cabs...

11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

In bold is your problem. Mini cabs are great for their purpose and that is not moving large amounts of air in a outside gig.

12. B-string

Do you think he could handle that much power and tone? :bag:

13. johnnybass01

johnnybass01

Sep 3, 2010
    Sparks NV
    Edorsing artist: Brubaker Guitars
    I had one of the heads a while back paired with a euphonic VL210 4 ohm cab, and it was unreal , at the time I was in a tool tribute and did a few outdoor gigs never had a volume issue, Now I play through a GK MB500 head and a 4 ohm Schroeder PL210 . but I would probably say that I liked the tone of the ashdown head more so than my GK. If it were me I would look at different cab options for sure, a 2x8 and a single 15 aren't going to give you the high spl rating you need for bigger venues. Plus I am not a fan of mixing different speaker size. a 4 ohm 212 would give you better output than your current set up.

14. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    My son also has an ABM-500 II with the mini 4x8 & 1x15 for the past 7 years. This has been a killer rig that has worked great for a wide range of gigs & bands.

He just upgraded to the GK rig. What a freakin' beast. Ton's of power, tone, and very portable.

15. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    I'd suggest getting better cabs. I personally think a decent 4x10 would be enough to fix your problem.

16. johnnybass01

johnnybass01

Sep 3, 2010
    Sparks NV
    Edorsing artist: Brubaker Guitars
    I am a big fan of the new GK MB heads not so much a fan of their cabs though. I had a pair of gk210's and a single gk212 .but I got to say the current 210 schroeder cab I have blow them away. after so many years playing professionally i am tired of hauling heavy gear. I do about 15 to 20 outdoor gigs a year , and realistically for those my rig is just stage volume anyway .I have done two outdoor gigs this year with just my 210 and i was still only at 12 o'clock on the volume.But it is on the high end side cost wise . but you get what you pay for.

17. ejazzb

ejazzb

Oct 10, 2011
    Oxfordshire U.K
    Thanks fellas I will give a change of speakers a go, just the portability really.

Would 2x10 & 1x15 make a big difference/

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you want LOUD, consider a 4x10 for starters. 2 of them is even better. Don't mix cabs.

19. B-string

^ THIS, you are not getting the message here? If you want to make baby steps fine, but how about making a real difference? 2 410 cabs or even 2 212 cabs if you want lower weight and more portable.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021