1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I am very sad to here MarkBass is going to China or somewhere.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Jul 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I heard MarkBass is having their stuff made in China are somewhere, that makes me wonder about quality. I have one of the first Jeff Berlin combo's, so that are to make my combo worth a million bucks right. Vintage baby and in mint condition big old yeller B&C 15in speaker. Isn't that what Fender and Gibson do HA HA just kidding. Anyway it makes me wonder if the quality will still be there, I have also heard they quit using B&C speakers.

2. Old news now. Being made in Indonesia although there doesn't seem to be change in overall quality. I personally don't know about the B&Cs.

3. They changed it up and moved a while ago, no improvements so they still are of no interest. ;)

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Why would the quality go down because something is made in China? Eden amps manufacturing actually improved after they relocated to China.

5. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Did the price go down? That would be a good thing I guess.

Scatabrain and Nunovsky like this.
  6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Sometimes it takes a while to smooth out the bugs and get the factories to behave. Only mindfull companies can really pull it off.

mpdd likes this.
  7. Dreamer ;) of course not.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The quality of the amps that you own will remain the same. It costs a lot to redesign the circuit boards, chances are that hasn't changed. More than likely, the same parts are being stuffed at the new factory. Indonesia produces an awful lot of components.

The only thing that might change is quality control. Then again, maybe it has improved. I wouldn't be concerned unless you see newly produced products that are failing.

dalahorse, the_Ryan and SirMjac28 like this.
  9. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I always thought that when merchandise was made in China that it was cheaper? I guess MB just got a little more greedy.

jimmyb, Sixgunn, Scatabrain and 2 others like this.
  10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I've owned two Italian made CMD-121Ps and they BOTH pooped the bed! I'm not sure how the quality could decrease.

11. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Or their previous plant sites could not keep them competitive on manufacturing costs. A lot of companies face this, stay competitive or die.

12. It is no more greedy than Ampeg/LOUD. Mark Bass didn't break new ground. Not knowing the costs of continued production in Italy an unfair assumption IMO anyway.

dalahorse and Killed_by_Death like this.
  13. There is nothing inherently low quality about being made in China. Some of the best quality and most reliable consumer products come out of there.

14. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    This is very interesting. I would like to know what some of those products are? Aside from Iphones and Levis jeans

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  15. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    image.

MarkBass isn't going to the birds....or are they.

16. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I bought a pair a few years back that already have a hole in them. :atoz:

The quality is a FAR cry from Levis of yesteryear. They've gotten the last dollar they'll ever get from me!

physics, Killed_by_Death and murphy like this.
  17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Marco released a statement regarding the move to Indonesia. Their prices haven't gone up in years, I want to say pre-2010. They only moved to Asia because they had to otherwise they would have to raise prices.

climber likes this.
  18. DiabolusInMusic

Dingwall Combustions would be a perfect example.

MDBass, CL400Peavey, Honch and 8 others like this.
  19. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    East Asia's had a fairly long tradition of attention to detail in their woodworking and probably some other stuff I don't know about. Far be it for me to assume Asians can't build guitars or amps as well as White people in the US or Italy.

20. You can't just lump "Asians" into that large of a group, especially when it comes to quality.
    China is a totally different ball game in comparison to Japan, or even Taiwan.
    We're talking about Indonesian though, right?

I'm sad to hear someone is only just learning of this "news" about Markbass & got all the details, & grammar, horribly wrong. :smug:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016