1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am working with Narra for the first time

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Sep 20, 2008.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Interesting wood so far. Very light and seems to work well I haven't carved on it yet but I am guessing it will do that well too. I am using it for the core and neck of a 4 string fretted the neck is flat sawn. Anybody use it a lot?

2. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    I remembered that a few guys have mention that wood, did a search and a few threads came up. Maybe you should look at them.

3. Pterocarpus indicus Narra is a trade name also known as Asian Padauk or Burmese padauk. Narra is graded into colors...yellow and red.

The burl form is known as Amboyna burl, but only the burl form. Originally harvested on Ambon island hense the name. Name was later changed to Amboina Island.

4. love it, in both burl and straight grained versions.

be careful when wiping with solvents or finish, it tends to bleed it's color unto the adjacent woods.