Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i Amp 800 is here!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass-only, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    As you guys like to say - the "brown truck" dropped off a brand new Euphonic Audio i AMP 800!

Looks great! Sounds awesome!

I fell in love with leaving the 2 contour and brite switches in! A multitude of sounds can be found, but it also sounds great with everything set flat.

It's really cool to have the on-board tuner also! PLENTY of power for any gig!

If you have been on the fence in regards to ordering one, get down and get one!

I am running it with either a pair of 208's or a 210B. A great match to these EA cabs!

You won't be disappointed! Let me know if you have any questions!

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have been seriously considering selling my WT-500 and picking up the 800. I would rather have a mono head. The WT-500 can only be bridged into 8ohms. If I drive 2 8ohm cabs, I only get about 150 watts per side. If I bridge the Amp, I get 600 watts into 8 ohms. That EA is a sweet amp! 1000 watts at 2 ohms:eek: :D

3. bassicrunner

bassicrunner

Sep 23, 2001
    Howdy. I'm also getting a little visit from the brown truck and will soon have my i-amp 800. I can't wait.....come on 5:30!

4. Bass-only

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    BTW - the 800 is only 10.25" deep , so it fits in the roto-molded SKB effects rack!

Much cheaper that the standard rack!

Yet another cool feature!

5. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Wow! It looks like this amp can do everything, but hoe does it sound? Does the amp have any warmth to it? I like clean but I would also like to be able to get warm if needed. I play a Modulus bass and I don't want to much of that clean graphite sizzle. Thanks

6. Bass-only

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    Yes - I would say that this amp has some "warmth". I think it really comes out in the contour presets.

I use them both together and I LOVE the sound. I also leave in the BRIGHT, which actually seems to do just the opposite of what you'd think when the contour buttons are pressed. It actually takes some of the "brittleness" out and still keeps a nice high end presence.

I have never heard this kind of clarity from my basses before and noticed such a difference in tone with each!

I was hoping this would be the perfect amp for all gigs - so far, I think it is.

7. so whats the going retail on these and where did you order it from?

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think what you've described is one of the strengths of EA amps, actually. The 600 never sounds brittle but has that great clarity that lets you hear what your bass sounds like. I'm sure the 800 retains the EA sonic signature in that regard.

9. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Congratulations, man...that head is a monster.

I think it might be THE perfect amp...lightweight, powerful, sounds GREAT, but I haven't been able to find a price...

Have fun with it, don't play too loud. ;)

10. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    does it do ok with other speakers besides EA? I am currently running two Aggie GS112's. Also, how does this compare with the Demeter VTBP-201S preamp? I've heard that this is also clear and warm...

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Euphonic Audio heads have a flat response. They are much more natural sounding than the Demeter unit. If you are looking to get the "sound of your bass", I would look no further. I am kicking myself for getting the Eden head instead of the iAMP. Though at the time I was playing only electric. The Eden has a lot of midrange coloration, and a soft hi end.

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The 800 is a wonderful amp. I especially like the manual. The inside cover is so well written, wouldn't you say :D

Mike Dimin

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Actually, yes...I WOULD say. My favorite line from the inside cover was (paraphrase), "I don't get paid to play - I get paid for cartage". Truer words were never spoken. :)

14. Told ya so !!! ;)

15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Kong,
    You are a man after my own heart, MTD and EA!

Congratulations and good luck with it

Mike

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You guys have really got me curious and wanting to try out the iAmp800. I had an iAmp 350 head at one time but I ended up not keeping it because, while it was a fantastic amp, I didn't think the sound paired well with my cab and I didn't want to get rid of the cab (because I got the cab for a great price and didn't want to completely start from scratch with limited funds).

I sure would love to hear the iAmps through EA cabs though. Or maybe through Accugroove or Eden XST cabs. I see that John at Bass Emporium is now an EA dealer. Maybe I'll make another trip down there soon.

brad cook

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    EA amps and Bergie cabs go together like Fred & Ginger. or Fred and Ethel. take your pick. :D