Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I apologize, in advance

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IvanMike, Sep 15, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    It's not my fault I tell ya, my mom named me while she was reading "the brothers karamatzov"
    My 1st name isn't all that popular these days, esp among florida and gulf coast state residents
    I hope my namesake doesn't do any of you or yours any harm
    but ya know, i was listening to NPR and it turns out there have only been 3 category 5 hurricaines to hit the US since they started rating them - a twisted part of me hopes "I" stay category 5 when i hit the US just so i get more than my alloted 15 minutes of fame :smug:
    but seriously, best wishes to all of you in Ivan's path

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, I don't blame you. I blame a kid named Eric, whom my brothers and I determined are responsible for everything. Ever. (This was about 7 years ago, but he's still responsible).

So blame him. I have his adress if you all need to send threatening letters.

3. I forgive you. But then again, I'm not in a hurricane now am I? No, I'm not.

4. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Eventually they're going to run out of names, you know.

I want Hurricane Hellbringer or Hurricane Harbinger of Sorrow.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Which do you think would win in a fight? Ivan? Or Hurricane Ivan?

6. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

I say companies should start sponsoring the names of hurricanes. They already name our stadiums, why not our natural disasters?

I can see it now: Hurricane McDonalds hits Mobile, Alabama. Hurricane Fender stirkes Miami. Hurricane Microsoft strikes Redmond, Washington.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Who would win? A hurricane? Or Ditka?
    -I dunno Bob, that's a tough one.
    What if it was named Hurricane Ditka?
    -Hmm...

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would so win..........i laugh at the elements :cool:

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    dude, your in CT, *** do you know about "the elements". ;) :)

--not that I can talk from western mass, but I think we have it easy comparatively.

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    LMAO!

I have two buddies that quote that ALLLLL the time.

11. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Hahaha that's great. :)

12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Well, ummm, we, ummm, got nailed pretty good by Gloria. That wasn't too long ago, something like '85, right? ;) In all seriousness, this was probably the worst hurricane I remember, I lost power for 6 days following this storm while my neighbor had their power back on day 2.

Of course, what we don't experience with hurricanes, we get with winter nor'easters & ice storms. Nothing like losing power/heat when it's zero outside.

13. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    we have it easy but i live on li sound, and when the winter nor'easters come in it can be quite spectacular - i lost 3 cars that way and got to watch a couple of neighbors houses get wrecked

and yes, i was laughing........................... :p

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol@hurricane microsoft. :hyper:

15. One of my friend's name's is Andrew, and to this day I believe he has newspaper clippings from that hurricane... 'Andrew injures hundreds' and stuff to that nature.

16. I thought it was really cool that as New Orleans braced for Ivan the owners of the Super Dome allowed families to stay there for shelter against the oncoming storm...

Until the refugee families beat the Saints 42-6.

:D

17. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Big Ditka or little Ditka?

18. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I've spent most of my life in CT, but have been in Northern California for the past six years. New Englanders know a heck of a lot more about weather than Californians IME. If we get rain out here, there are newscasters reporting from the highway and talking to CHiPs warning "SLOW DOWN" like it's the apocalypse because so many numbskulls can't drive in the rain.

And if there's snow, forget about it...despite all the 4 wheel drive SUVs.

Marshall

19. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I spent some time out in Cali a while back. Just wait until you go through your first >6.0 magnitude earthquake (or 3 even)! I've never felt anything like that before or since. I think I'd rather get stuck shoveling snow every winter over earthquakes.

Oh yea, since it rains so infrequently in Cali. it is very important to slow down, as tons of oil gets lifted to the surface of the road, making them very slippery. I still had to LOL at all the people with their windshield wipers on overdrive though. :)