Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I applied for a reality show!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkee1, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    I went to VH1.com, and applied to be on "You Rock with....."
    The conceit of the show is that they take a skilled musician, so it's no freak show, and give them an opportunity to play onstage (and of course. on Television, with one of their Heroes. A lady I know was on the first show (Alicia Champion- she jammed with Melissa Etheridge!).

If I am chosen, I'll have to audition, and we'll see how it goes from there. Wish me luck!
    BTW, on the application, it asks who you want to jam with, and although there are others I'd pick, because it's VH-1, I picked Outkast, Sting and Kenny Loggins.

2. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    Did you read the release you have to sign?

3. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    So far, I have only filled out the application. I haven't been selected yet. I imagine THAT is when you get hit with the release.

What have you heard?

4. I'm curious myself what they make you sign. Good luck up there if you are chosen. Quite an experience, tv appearance and jam with who's already made a name for themselves.

5. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    The release is required upfront. I'm just curious if anyone else finds the wording problematic like I do.

From the VH1 website:

There are FOUR required items for all applicants: APPLICATION, SIGNED RELEASE, VIDEO, PHOTO.

Here's what you do:
    1. Fill out this application. Before submitting, print a copy to include with your video.
    2. PRINT, SIGN and DATE this participant release.
    3. Provide a recent photo of yourself (shoulders and above).
    4. Make a five minute video of you performing a song by your favorite artist. Also tell us a little bit about yourself, show us your world, and explain why we should choose YOU to rock with your favorite band.
    5. Mail APPLICATION, SIGNED RELEASE, VIDEO and PHOTO to:
    VH1's You Rock With...
    Attn: Casting Department
    1317 N. San Fernando Blvd. #324
    Burbank, CA 91504-4272
    [/I]

6. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    ^^^ They wanna make sure you look good. I mean it is Tv

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I am fundamentally opposed to any and all reality TV shows.

However, I will wish you "Good Luck with your endeavours" which can or cannot be considered supportive of your applications.

8. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    I just reread my posts and realize the messages might not be clear.

Funkee1 said: "I have only filled out the application. I haven't been selected yet. I imagine THAT is when you get hit with the release."

My second post was meant to point out that signing and sending in the release is required BEFORE you are selected.

My original post was meant to get feedback on whether anyone else saw any problems with the wording of the release itself.

Sorry for any confusion.