Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I asked Eden Customer Service and they sent me to their Forum

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I sent the following message to Eden's customer service:

"During two gigs this month my amp starting making a very loud high pitched sound and sometimes random noises at random times after about a half an hour of playing. I've had to turn off and on the amp to stop it. The setup I'm using is a Eden WT550 with a S15D BagEnd cabinet. Is this a tube problem and how can I check it? Thanks youfor your assistance."

And they responded with this:

"I’d suggest asking this on theeden-electronics web forum.
    http://www.eden-electronics.com/forum/default.asp
    The moderators there have more technicalexperience with the amps than we do here at the corporate headquarters as notedin this press release."

Before USMusic bought them I could always get an answer out of their customer service. Well anyway, can anybody tell me if this is a tube problem? Thanks.

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The problem is you emailed US Music instead of Eden. I have called eden customer service (in MN) several times and had nothing but professional knowledgeable service. What you got was the response by some hack at US Music. Try calling them at 763 675 1890, you'll get REAL techs at this number who know their stuff.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I've notice on the forum that Lane seems to do a pretty good job of customer service, and he has David ear directly. I've seen others bypass US Music that way.

4. Yes, if You follow the phone prompts to speak to "eden cust service" , you will get to talk to someone more helpful perhaps.

Last summer I called them with a question regarding my 800b, and spoke with David N. personally, as he was fielding tech phone questions.......very helpful.

5. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I know I was able to reach very helpful techs at Eden when I had to call about a Metro I used to own. No complaints at all. Yeah, sounds like you got some intern at US Music who's judged by how fast he can return a pitch!

6. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    +1

7. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks for all the feedback! Can you folks recommend what kind of tube would be best to replace. Eden's website indicates that it's a 7025 tube. I can't get that locally. Thanks.

8. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    12AX7

9. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    just a thought (as this has happened to me before). Where was your cell phone at the time of the noise? Because if I put my phone right by my WT550 it will intermittenly (sp?) make a high pitch noise that almost sounds like morse code. something to think about :)

10. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    so once upon a time, I was doing an amp demo in front of about thirty people. I had my phone in my pocket set to vibrate. Well, the phone goes off creating this terrible noise through the amp and with the vibrations, I thought I was being shocked and I let on to this is what I thought was happening. When I realized it was just the phone, I pulled it out and said "nobody panic, I'm a trained professional".

On the customer service issue: we are owned by Kaman Music. If you call their service, all they can do is issues RA's and such. Our tech is at our amp company. This is the same deal with Eden.

One thing tough for manufacturers these days is the internet. Many people don't read manuals because of it and they also send in questions via email. Since a tech will usually need to ask follow up questions this creates a lot of back and forth. When you have a problem with an amp, nothing beats a phone call so you can discuss the symptoms real time.

11. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Oh yea although this might not be the problem, don't ever play while having your cellphone in your pocket.

I did about 5 rehearsals and there were this boomy, snaring noise all the time. The 6th rehearsal I forgot my cellphone at home and... dang! did that ring a bell in my head? :smug:

If this isn't the problem, yea - you might have to try change the tube, just for the hell of it :)

12. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i've had my cell screw up my sound as well- i never would have guessed what it was until the guys i was playing with asked me if my phone was on.

and a 7025 tube is a 12ax7- same thing, different name (just to keep you on your toes).

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have to say that the Eden forum is one of the better-run brand-specific forums out there.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A 7025 has a little higher gain.

15. Stumpy6653

Stumpy6653

Sep 12, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    here here.

I find that there are few of the techs that are amazing to work with, none of them are from the US Music side of the house.

Call them directly.

16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm not so sure about this. 12AX7s have a gain factor of 100 - i.e., the maximum. If I remember correctly, 7025 is a mil-spec 12AX7, and I don't think that has any bearing on gain.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    From the Torres Engineering website (emphasis mine):

7025 was an industrial number for 12AX7. The 7025's specified in the old amps from the 60's were a bit different from 12AX7 tubes in that they were supposed to be made for lower noise. That is why Fender, for example, specified a mixture of 7025's and 12AX7's. Today all 12AX7 tubes are low noise, but the extra brilliance and higher gain of the 7025 is always an advantage, and another tool to tune your amp with.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol, classic... :D

while i'm usually in agreement w/ you MJ, i'd rather swallow a hamster whole than listen to what the Torres guys have to say. :rollno: still, i'd say you're right.