Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I believe I finally have a design I can live with...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Kahuna, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Well, after much playing around...er... working on many different design comps, I've finally got 2 that I like enough to start making templates, cutting wood, and buildling basses.

[​IMG]

Double cut Model DC-1

[​IMG]

Single cut Model SC-1

Lemme know whatcha think.

:^)~

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The singlecut looks good, but you could probably do a little more with the upper horn on the double-cutaway.

3. I like. I do have a preference, though, for instruments that can be leaned against the wall w/o falling over.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I think they're both very classy.

5. Very interesting designs. Do you forsee a problem with the strap button and instrument balance when on a strap given the inward curve on the rear end of these body styles? I am not a fan of single cuts but yours looks good.

6. I like the designs!

Wanna build me one? :D ;)

7. Seriously, Kahuna, I'd love to be a tester for your basses.:D I'll even give it an honest review!;)

It looks to me like the single cut extends a bit far on the top. Perhaps it should be a little shorter. I like the double cut.:)

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    sc all the way!

member' to put the strap button (top) closer to the 12 fret area so it will balance a little better

9. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Very nice, both of them. Kinda' Consat meets Prima (hope you don't mind hearing that). Just enough difference to make it your own though.

What are you doing for a headstock design?

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    SWEET!!!

Can you do an 8 string in the single cut style???

:D

11. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    with the double cut you could add more extention on the upper horn at the bass ..like an 'F' bass
    I dig both the designs!

12. I agree, but both designs look very sweet. :D

13. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Most excellant. Do it up.

-rh

14. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Thanks so much everyone!

Bryan, I think I see what you're referring to with the double cut upper horn. Here is another version with slight changes to the upper horn and upper horn cutaway to try and balance the look a bit (computers make this so much easier!...)

[​IMG]

Lemme know whatcha think!

Hey Progzilla,

No problem! Do you want an 8 string tuned individually, or an 8 string tuned E-A-D-G with octave strings?

:^)~

15. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Nice shapes here!

I do prefer the first version on the double cut though.

The SC is nice too but I would slightlu modify the way the "non - horn" ;) connects to the neck to make the shape shorter.

Peace, JP

16. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    JP, I'm with you, version #1 of the doublecut looks better.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was thinking maybe add a bit of curve to it to balance out the curve in the lower right-hand corner of the bass, like this:
    [​IMG]

BTW, sorry for the poor quality-this was just a quick freehand.

18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    INDIVIDUAL BABY!!!!

:D

19. I just have to say that I really like both of the designs. Good luck building them.

20. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Prog is all about the individually-tuned 8s.
    I really dig those shapes, but I like the neck-joint area of the first double-cut better. Or maybe if you kind of made them flow into each other, sort of like one continuous line behind the neck. I hope that makes sense to you, cause I don't think it makes sense to me.

With the single-cut, I wonder how it would look to curve the upper "horn" back in towards the neck, like the LeFay or BassLab design. I can't remember which.

I really like the bass-side waist and butt-end contours. Very nice.

I'd be anxious to see your headstock design, as well. I like both of those shapes very much!