I believe in miracles.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I know it's been posted before but I gotta do it again.

The bongo bass is in the new Musician's Friend catalog. Got it yesterday. The catalog. I can in no possible way afford this thing now, and the way my finances are going it doesn't look as though I'm going to be able to frivorously spend $1100 any time soon.

BUT I MUST HAVE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea where the money is coming from but I had to start this thread as a public affirmation that I will own one of these SOON. And I WILL NOT HAVE TO SELL MY WARWICK OR MY MOTHER TO DO IT!

I really had to vent this again to feel a little relief.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    OMG, it's already started. :eek:

<small>***"Honey, bring the kids in the shelter and don't forget the gas masks!" </small>
  3. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Get the Musicians Freind Charge Card and get the
    extended payment plan, I think it is 6 months
    on a purchase that big, sometimes they have a
    different program offered on the Web Site, than they do in the Catalog. As long as you have it
    payed off by the end of the finance period there
    are no other charges. I have done this the last
    couple years myself, and it worked out really
    good. Also Sam Ash does this as well, if you have
    a local Sam Ash store, at different times of the
    year they offer 12 month's, sometimes 15 month's
    to pay it off.
  4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    i'm a musician. i have no credit.
  5. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Just apply and see what happens, these companies
    are desperate to move merchandise, The worst that
    could happen is they decline.:)
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Come on now - you don't have to *sell* your Mother. Just rent her! ;)
  7. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    True....try it Joe Nerve. I was pretty shocked at the limit they gave me a while back.
  8. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Look, there are many honorable ways to do this.

People always need drugs, for instance. And if you have any mechanical skills and blood doesn't bother you, perhaps hired killings would be a quick way to go.

But credit with Musician's Fiend, man, I don't know about that.

Seriously, Mister Nerve, you know I'm pulling for you. We Bongophiles have to stick together.

And geez, it's not like it's a BC Rich.
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    just proof that with the right name tag you could sell anything.
  10. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    John, they could have called those things "Roger" and I still would have bought one.

Come on, it's not as outrageous (cough, cough) as SOME THINGS I've seen people play.
  11. There is a white Bongo attached to a porcelain base in the restroom downstairs...
    Oh, wait, the neck and pickup are missing... :D
  12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    i'm a musician. OF COURSE I'VE TRIED THIS ALREADY. funny, when my cat's vet bill was $800 they immediately appproved me for credit. my past only haunts me when it's for something i REALLY need, like the bongo.

just fer the record - why i jones for this bass......

A. I LOVE MM basses. They seem to be the difinitive bass for me. I have a connection with my sterling like with no other bass. My Sterling is the only bass I don't use a condom with. Did I let that slip out.....

B. I Love versatility, hence C & D....

C. 2 MM pickups

D. 4 band EQ

E. I love the fact that it's one of the weirdest looking basses I've ever seen. Don't matter if it looks good or bad - weird suits my style just fine.

F. The rebel in me loves that the majority of people HATE the way the thing looks.

G. I've got this thing about being the first kid on the block to have something. My parents always deprived me of that and now I'm damaged goods. I have baggage.
  13. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I think A and G are your most valid reasons. :D Best of luck on acquiring this bass. I refuse to offer advice on how to get there though, although bovinehost was headed up the right path there for a moment ;)

Dan :bassist:
  14. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
  15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author &quot;The Art of Solo Bass&quot;
    OK here is the deal - your warwick is ONLY a bass, your Mother is just a mom - but the BONGO, now that is life itself. Get rid of the Warwick - you can always get another when the finances are better. I would, however, keep your Mom as she might be able to help with the aforementioned fiances (NBM -National Bank of Mom).

I am actually being a bit serious. People were really nasty when I sold my Fodera or traded my WAlter Woods - "how could you sell THAT bass" - well is is after all only a bass/amp. Someday, I might get another, if that is were the spirit moves me. If you really want the Bongo (perhaps the ugliest bass ever made) - then get rid of the Warwick and get it. Don't even think twice. Let's face it, if you had both basses, the Warwick woould sit in the closet anyway. Go for it.

16. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sheesh, given the tacky excess of many of the basses I've seen TBer's drool over, the Bongo hardly deserves to be singled out for ridicule. Hope ya get it soon, Joe!

17. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Hey now- I'm a 19 year old college student, and yet I got a Visa Platinum pretty easy. They will give cards to anyone! :D
  18. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    the warwick already just sits there. your suggestion makes complete sense, yet i can't bring myself to do it. it was my first REAL bass, records really well, and i swear feels like no other warwick i've ever played - and i've played a lot of em. it was made right before they started spitting them out like crazy.

if i didn't beat my sterling to all hell i think i'd be quicker to sell that cuz i think MM is WAY more consistent in their production than Warwick.

call me crazy but i really do believe if I keep affirming that a bongo will soon be mine the means will come to me. i already got offered 3 unexpected gigs gigs this coming sun, mon and tues. that's $300 unexpected dollars. i can't tell you all the strange and wonderful ways money and things have come to me in the past.

ok, i'll tell you one. it was the end of the summer, i was on the balls of my butt but I had faith i would be able to pay all my bills. it seemed impossible, but i trusted the universe. i got a check in the mail for around $600 because i had worked a certain amount of days at my job (substitute teacher), and was entitled to some summer pay which i never knew about, never before received, and never received since.

Things like that have happened countless times.

Anybody wanna buy a really cool cat, only slightly defective - has diabetes and need insulin 2X a day, but otherwise works perfectly?
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't care for the looks either, but to hell with what I think. :D If not for the fact that you can't afford it, I'd tell you to go buy one immediately, no apology/explanation necessary.
  20. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    LOL! :D

(It's only funny because it's so undeniably true...)